India, France, UAE Trilateral Initiative
- 06 Feb 2023
- 5 min read
Why in News?
Recently, India, France, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have agreed to form a partnership to work together in the fields of nuclear and solar energy, as well as in tackling climate change and preserving biodiversity.
- The idea of this partnership was first discussed at a meeting in New York during the United Nations General Assembly in September 2022.
What Are the Major Highlights of the Trilateral Initiative?
- This trilateral initiative will serve as a forum to promote the design and execution of cooperation projects in the fields of energy, with a focus on solar and nuclear energy, as well as in the fight against climate change and the protection of biodiversity, particularly in the Indian Ocean region.
- The three countries have also agreed to work together in defence, countering infectious diseases, and promoting cooperation in global health organisations such as the World Health Organization, Gavi-the Vaccine Alliance, the Global Fund, and Unitaid.
- Further, the three countries will attempt to identify tangible cooperation on implementing the “One Health” approach, and support the development of local capacities in biomedical innovation and production within developing countries.
- The three countries also agreed to expand their cooperation through initiatives such as the Mangrove Alliance for Climate led by the UAE and the Indo-Pacific Parks Partnership led by India and France.
What are the Other Areas of Cooperation between India and France?
- Defence Cooperation:
- The three services of both countries have regular defence exercises; viz.
- India entered into a contract with a French firm to build six Scorpene submarines in India’s Malegaon dockyards through a technology-transfer arrangement in 2005.
- Also, India and France had signed the inter-government agreement in 2016, under which France agreed to provide 36 Rafale fighter jets at a cost of around 60,000 crore rupees to India.
- Other Initiatives:
- India and France are in joint efforts to limit climate change and develop the International Solar Alliance.
- France has agreed to be part of India's Venus mission, scheduled for 2025.
- Also, ISRO’s Venus instrument, VIRAL (Venus Infrared Atmospheric Gases Linker) has been co-developed by French and Russian agencies.
What are the Other Areas of Cooperation between India and UAE?
- Collaboration: They both are the members of I2U2 Grouping.
- Economic Partnership: In 2022 India & UAE signed a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) with an aim of taking bilateral trade to USD 100 billion within 5 years.
- Also, India and UAE are discussing ways to boost non-oil commerce in rupees that will promote internationalisation of rupees.
- UAE is the second largest export destination of India (after the US) with an amount of over US$ 28 billion for the year 2021-22.
- For the UAE, India is the second largest trading partner for the year 2021 with an amount of around USD 45 billion (non-oil trade).
- Defence Cooperation: With the spread of radicalism in the Gulf and South Asia, India looks to enhance security cooperation with the UAE to counter terrorist threats and combat radicalization.
- ‘Desert Eagle II’, is a joint air combat exercise, between air forces of India and UAE.