Important Facts for Prelims (5th January 2019)
- 05 Jan 2019
- 2 min read
106th Indian Science Congress
- The 106th edition of the Indian Science Congress (ISC) was inaugurated at Lovely Professional University (LPU) in Phagwara, Jalandhar Punjab.
- The theme for ISC-2019 is 'Future India - Science and Technology'.
- In his inaugural speech, the Prime Minister added ‘Jai Anusandhan’ to former prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri's famous slogan of Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan and Atal Bihari Vajpayee's Jai Vigyan to give a new slogan- Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan, Jai Vigyan and Jai Anusandhan.
- A time capsule containing 100 items representing India’s scientific prowess and the range of technology available in the modern world was lowered down to the ground to preserve a glimpse of present day India for future generations.
- The previous (2018), i.e. 105th edition was held in Imphal (Manipur University).
Indian Science Congress (ISC)
- The Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) owes its origin to the foresight and initiative of two British Chemists, namely, Professor J. L. Simonsen and Professor P.S. MacMahon.
- The first meeting of the Congress was held from January 15-17, 1914 at the premises of the Asiatic Society, Calcutta.
Renewables 2018 Global Status Report
- Renewable Energy Network for the 21st Century (REN21) has released the Renewables 2018 Global Status Report.
- As of 2016, renewable energy accounted for an estimated 18.2% of global total final energy consumption, with modern renewables representing 10.4%.
- India ranked fifth in renewable power (including hydropower) and fourth (not including hydropower) as of end 2017.
- According to the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, a total of around 73.35 GW of renewable energy capacity has been installed in the country as on October 2018.
- This includes around 35 GW from Wind, 24 GW from solar, 4.5 GW from Small Hydro Power and 9.5 GW from Bio-power.