Important Facts for Prelims (11th August, 2018)
- 11 Aug 2018
- 7 min read
One District One Product Summit
- The President of India inaugurated the ‘One District One Product’ Summit in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
District Products Agra Leather Ferozabad Glass bangles Kashganj Jari and Jardozi Chitrakoot Wooden Toys Kanpur Leather products Moradabad Metal craft Amroha Musical instruments Varanasi Silk products
- Under the scheme, the state government of Uttar Pradesh has set a goal of providing employment to 25 lakh people in five years through the financial assistance of Rs. 25,000 crores.
- The scheme can create
largenumber of employment opportunities for the youth and strengthen the inclusive and sustainable development of Uttar Pradesh.
- This scheme will also increase the growth of small, medium and traditional industries of the districts.
- Uttar Pradesh contributes around 44%
inthe total handicraft exports of the country. Industries such as handicrafts, food processing, engineering goods, carpets, readymade clothes, leather goods etc earnsforeign exchange as well as provide employment. Therefore, this sector will play an important role in the development of Uttar Pradesh.
Repurpose Used Cooking Oil
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has launched Repurpose Used Cooking Oil (RUCO), an initiative that will enable collection and conversion of used cooking oil to bio-diesel. FSSAI has recently notified standards for used cooking oil.
- FSSAI may also look at introducing regulations to ensure that companies that use large quantities of cooking oil hand it over to registered collecting agencies to convert it into biofuel.
- Under this initiative, 64 companies at 101 locations have been identified to enable collection of used cooking oil.
- According to FSSAI, India has the potential to recover 220 crore
litresof used cooking oil for the production of biodiesel by 2022 through a co-ordinatedaction.
- FSSAI wants businesses using more than 100
litresof oil for frying, to maintain a stock register and ensure that used cooking oil is handed over to only registered collectingagencies.
- According to FSSAI regulations, the maximum permissible limits for Total Polar Compounds (TPC) have been set at 25%, beyond which the cooking oil is unsafe for consumption.
- FSSAI is also working in partnership with Biodiesel Association of India and the food industry to ensure effective compliance of used cooking oil regulations.
- FSSAI has additionally launched a micro-site to monitor the progress of the collection and conversion of used cooking oil into biodiesel.
Zero Budget Natural Farming
- Zero Budget Natural Farming (ZBNF) refers to a set of Natural Farming methods where the cost of growing and harvesting Plants is effectively Zero. It believes in Natural Growth of Crops without adding any fertilizers and pesticides or any Foreign Elements to crops or Land.
- Recently Andhra Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh have shown interest in ZBNF practices and Promotion of Project in respective States.
- Keeping in mind, India's growing food
needs ,ZBNF is a right step to ensure Food Security in the Country.
- It will check the menace of soil and water pollution and ensure
betterquality of produce.
- It will reduce the initial costs of the farmers which will indirectly help the Government in their efforts in doubling their incomes.
- It will contribute to
Sustainableuse of Natural Resources.
- It will lead to
increasein GDP share from Agriculture.
- It can generate employment opportunities in agriculture and allied sectors.
- It will solve the problem of Hidden Hunger as crops produced through this methods are
- Operation “Madad” has been launched by the Southern Naval Command (SNC) at Kochi for assisting the state administration and undertaking disaster relief operations due to the unprecedented flooding experienced in many parts of Kerala, owing to incessant rainfall and release of excess water from Idukki and other dams.
- The Southern Naval Command is one of the three main formations of the Indian Navy. It has its headquarters in Kochi, Kerala.
- The SNC is the Training Command of Indian Navy and is responsible for the training of all its personnel, both officers as well as sailors, from basic to advance stages.
- Platform for Effective Enforcement for No Child Labour (PENCIL) Portal is an electronic platform that aims at involving Centre, State, District, Governments, civil society and the general public in achieving the target of child
- It has been launched for the effective implementation of
ChildLabour Act and NationalChild Labour Project (NCLP) Scheme.
- PENCIL Portal has five components- Child Tracking System, Complaint Corner, State Government, National Child Labour Project and Convergence.
- The Districts will nominate District Nodal Officers (DNOs) who will receive the complaints.
- Within 48 hours of receiving the complaints, DNOs will check the authenticity of the complaint and thereafter will take the rescue measures in coordination with police.
- PENCIL portal is administered by
Ministryof Labour & Employment.
- Under National Child Labour Project (NCLP) Scheme, children in the age group of 9-14 years, rescued/withdrawn from work are enrolled in the NCLP Special Training Centres, where they are provided with bridge education, vocational training,
mid daymeal, stipend, health care, etc. before being mainstreamed into formaleducation system.