Important Facts For Prelims (August 4, 2018)
- 04 Aug 2018
- 3 min read
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY)
PMUYwas launched in 2016 and is implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas through its Oil Marketing Companies.
PMUY, initially, 5 crores below poverty line (BPL) households were targeted for providing deposit free LPG connections to BPL households by 31st March,2019. This target has been achieved.
BPL is a person/ household who suffers from at least one deprivation under the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) - 2011 Database.
PMUYaims at providing clean-cooking fuel to the poor households and bringing in qualitative chargesin the living standards.
- The scheme provides a financial support of Rs 1600 for each LPG connection to the BPL households.
PMUYbeneficiaries are identified through Socio-Economic Caste Census List-2011 and in such cases where names are not covered under SECC list, beneficiaries are identified from seven categories:
- All SC/STs households beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana(PMAY) (Gramin)
- Antyoday Anna Yojana (AAY)
- Forest dwellers
- Most Backward Classes (MBC)
- Tea & Ex-Tea Garden Tribes
- People residing in Islands
- People residing in river islands.
E-Pashudhan Haat Scheme
- The Government launched e-Pashu Haat portal in 2016 for connecting breeders and farmers of indigenous breeds.
- Through the portal, farmers can obtain information on
locationof quality indigenous germplasm in the formlive animals, semen doses and embryos.
- This portal is playing a crucial role in
developmentand conservation of indigenous breeds.
- It has been launched under the scheme National Mission on Bovine Productivity.
- India has the largest bovine population in the world.
- The Indigenous bovine breeds are sturdy, endowed with the quality of heat tolerance, resistance to diseases and ticks with the ability to thrive under extreme climatic conditions and survive with low inputs.
- However, most of the indigenous have
lowgenetic potential for milk production and are suited for draught animal power. But, some breeds have potentialto be highly productive under optimal nutrition and farm management conditions along with selective genetic breeding.
- Shortcomings in Animals Trade Market:
- No authentic organized market - Decentralised, fragmented and dispersed for indigenous breeds- being sold in haats/animal fairs etc.
- Difficult to get quality- disease free high genetic merit germplasm.
- Misleading valuation due to lack of traceability and tracking.
- Other malpractices include Horns removed & Teeth filed to mislead for their age.