Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam
- 10 Feb 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Ethiopia is building one of the largest dams in the world, the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD), on the river Nile near the Sudan border.
- It is Africa’s biggest dam project and will have lasting impacts on its longest river- Nile.
- The hydroelectric dam is being built on the Nile (north-flowing river in Africa), in the lowlands of Ethiopia.
- Concerns: The Nile is under serious threat of severe pollution, climate change and Egypt’s growing population.
- Egypt is one of the driest countries on earth, with 95% of its people living along the Nile (or its overflowing Delta).
- It relies almost totally on the Nile for its water supply and the construction of this dam will further cut down Egypt’s water supply by 12-25%.