Global Refugee Forum
- 18 Dec 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Global Refugee Forum meeting was held in Geneva, Switzerland.
- It was the first ever meeting of global refugee forum.
- Global Refugee Forum is guided by the Global Compact on Refugees.
- The compact calls for greater support to refugees and the countries that host them, often among the poorest in the world, and also aims to help refugees become more self-reliant so that they can contribute more to their own future and to that of the host community.
- The compact emerged from the New York Declaration for Refugees and Migrants in 2016.
- The United Nations General Assembly unanimously adopted the declaration in 2016. It reaffirms the importance of the international refugee regime and contains a wide range of commitments by Member States to strengthen and enhance mechanisms to protect people on the move.
- It is part of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- It is a UN Refugee Agency and a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting the rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people.
- It was created in 1950 to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes.
- It is headquartered at Geneva, Switzerland.