Extra Neutral Alcohol
- 05 Dec 2019
- 1 min read
Why in News
Alcohol manufacturers have written to NITI Aayog asking for reduction in import duty so as they can import Extra Neutral Alcohol (ENA) from global markets cost effectively.
- Like ethanol, ENA is a byproduct of the sugar industry, and is formed from molasses that are a residue of sugarcane processing.
- The ENA market in India stood at a volume of 2.9 billion litres in 2018.
Uses of Extra Neutral Alcohol
- ENA is the primary raw material for making alcoholic beverages such as whisky, vodka etc.
- It serves as an essential ingredient in the manufacture of cosmetics and personal care products such as perfumes, toiletries, hair spray, etc.
- Given its properties as a good solvent, it also finds industrial use and is utilised in the production of some lacquers, paints and ink for the printing industry, as well as in pharmaceutical products such as antiseptics, drugs, syrups, medicated sprays.