Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
Exercise MILAN 2022
- 26 Feb 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
The Indian Navy’s multilateral Exercise MILAN 2022 is scheduled to commence from 25th Feb 2022 in the ‘City of Destiny’, Visakhapatnam.
- 2020 edition of MILAN was postponed to 2022 due to Covid-19.
What are the Key Points?
- MILAN 22:
- MILAN 22 will witness its largest ever participation, with more than 40 countries sending their warships/ high level delegations.
- This edition of MILAN will be larger in ‘scope and complexity’ with focus on exercises at sea including exercises in surface, sub-surface and air domains and weapon firings.
- Theme 2022: ‘Camaraderie - Cohesion – Collaboration’.
- MILAN is a biennial multilateral naval exercise incepted by Indian Navy in 1995 at Andaman and Nicobar Command.
- Starting with the participation of only four countries, viz Indonesia, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Thailand, in the 1995 edition, the exercise has since transitioned leaps and bounds in terms of number of participants and complexity of exercises.
- Originally conceived in consonance with India’s ‘Look East Policy’, MILAN expanded in ensuing years with India’s ‘Act East policy’ and Security And Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR) initiative, to include participation from island nations in the Western IOR (Indian Ocean Region) as also IOR littorals.