Important Facts For Prelims
- 23 Jan 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
A large-scale Tri service Military ‘Exercise Kavach’ will be conducted in January 2021 under the aegis of the Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC), the only Joint Forces Command of the country.
- The Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) is the first integrated theatre command in India with headquarters at Port Blair.
- Participation: Indian Army, Indian Navy, Indian Air Force and Indian Coast Guard.
- Features: The exercise involves synergised application of maritime surveillance assets, coordinated air and maritime strikes, air defence, submarine and landing operations.
- The joint force would execute multi domain, high intensity offensive and defensive manoeuvres in the Andaman Sea and Bay of Bengal.
- The tri-services exercise aims to fine tune joint war-fighting capabilities and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) towards enhancing operational synergy.
- Significance: The exercise will check the preparedness of all the agencies in dealing with an asymmetric threat.
- Asymmetrical threats are unconventional strategies and tactics adopted by a force.
- Need of Such Exercise: The 1993 Bombay Bombings and the 2008 Mumbai Attacks happened due to the poorly guarded maritime border.
- Other Exercises for Coastal Security:
- Exercise ‘Sea Vigil’.
- Tropex (Theatre-level Readiness Operational Exercise) which Indian Navy conducts every two years.