Dobra Chanti bridge
- 09 Nov 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Uttarakhand Chief Minister has inaugurated Dobra-Chanthi suspension bridge in Tehri-Garhwal district.
- The 440-metre long Dobra Chanti bridge is India's longest motorable single lane suspension bridge.
- Built over Tehri Lake, it will cut travel time between Tehri and Pratapnagar districts from 5 5 to 1.5 hours.
- Benefits of the bridge
- Better connectivity within the region.
- Boost tourism potential.
- Gateway to development in the region.
- Local employment promotion.
- Tehri Dam is the highest dam in India and fourth highest dam in the world.
- It is around 260.5 metre high and 592 metre long. It is part of the Tehri Dam & Hydro Power Project (the multi-purpose river valley project) taken up for construction on River Bhagirathi to tap its vast potential for irrigation and hydro-electric purposes.
- It is located in the Tehri district of Uttarakhand.
- The river stream originates in the Garhwal Himalaya. The river after reaching Devprayag meets another head stream, the Alaknanda, forming river Ganga.