- 09 Nov 2019
- 1 min read
Why in news?
Padma Shri awardee and renowned Dhrupad vocalist Ramakant Gundecha passed away in Bhopal.
- The word Dhrupad is derived from Dhruva, the steadfast evening star that moves through the galaxy, and Pada meaning poetry.
- Traditionally, the dhrupad style of singing was performed with a tanpura and pakhawaj.
- The lyrics sung in Dhrupad are in a medieval form of Hindi and typically heroic in theme, or praise of a particular deity.
- It is a form of devotional music that traces its origin to the ancient text of Samveda.
- One significant characteristic of Dhrupad is the emphasis on maintaining the purity of the Raga.
- Hindustani classical music is primarily vocal-centric. The primary vocal forms associated with Hindustani music are the Khayal, Ghazal, Dhrupad, Dhammar, Tarana and Thumri.