- 07 Sep 2019
- 1 min read
Recently, India has successfully performed rarest of the rare surgery on Craniopagus Twins.
- This was the first successful craniopagus conjoined twin separation surgery from India wherein both the children had survived.
- Worldwide only 10-15 children have survived after surgical separation of this condition in the last 50 years.
- All modern adjuncts of technology for surgical planning, 3D print model technology for brain and skull model development, venous bypass, staged surgeries and continuous post-operative care is needed for craniopagus surgery.
- Craniopagus twins are conjoined twins that are fused at the skull.
- It represents the rarest of congenital abnormalities.
- Conjoined twins are genetically identical and always share the same sex.