City Gas Distribution Network
- 27 Aug 2019
- 2 min read
The Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Steel has launched the commencement of work for 10th City Gas Distribution (CGD) bidding round which will cover 50 Geographical Areas (GAs) in 124 districts.
- After the completion of the 10th round, over 70% of the country’s population and 52.73% of the area will be covered under the CGD.
- The development of CGD networks will increase the availability of clean cooking fuel or Piped Natural Gas (PNG) and transportation fuel Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) for consumers.
- CGD has been granted ‘Public Utility’ status.
India’s Clean Energy Mix
- India is the 3rd largest energy consumer of the world and is expected to become top consumer in a decade.
- The present share of gas in the energy mix in the country is 6.2% compared to 24% globally.
- The Government aims is to increase the share of natural gas to 15% by 2030.
- Domestic gas production was 32.87 billion cubic metre in 2018-19, and is likely to go up to 39.3 billion cubic metre in 2020-21.
- According to the government, present LNG terminal capacity of 38.8 Million Metric Tonne Per Annum (MMTPA) will be augmented to 52.5 MMTPA in next 3-4 years.
- The National Gas Grid presently is 16,788 km, and work is in progress for additional 14,788 km.