Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
- 07 Nov 2019
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, the West Bengal Heritage Commission has proposed to set up a museum dedicated to the Bengal partition that took place during the bifurcation of the country in 1947.
- The museum will focus on the historical facts and the consequences of the Partition of Bengal.
- The museum is proposed to be housed in the Alipore Jail that is a heritage building.
- The Partition of India in 1947 that led to the creation of Pakistan involved the division of Bengal and Punjab provinces based on district-wise Hindu or Muslim majorities.
- It not only led to violence but also marked one of the largest mass migration in human history.
- After the Partition, Bengal was bifurcated into East Bengal and West Bengal.
- East Bengal became a part of Pakistan and was renamed as East Pakistan in 1956. It later became an independent nation of Bangladesh after the Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971.
- In the proposed museum, documents, articles, documentaries, and films on the Partition will be highlighted.