63rd Ramon Magsaysay Award
- 03 Sep 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently the Ramon Magsaysay Award 2021 was announced. The award is presented in a formal ceremony in Manila, the capital of the Philippines on 31st August each year.
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award was established in 1957 and is considered Asia's premier prize and highest honour.
- It is named after Ramon Magsaysay, the third president of the Republic of the Philippines.
- Recognises and honours individuals and organisations in Asia, regardless of race, creed, gender, or nationality, who have achieved distinction and have helped others generously without aiming for public recognition.
- Till 2009, awards were traditionally given in five categories:
- Government service; public service; community leadership; journalism, literature and creative communication arts; and peace and international understanding.
- However, post 2009, the Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation annually selects the awardees for the field of Emergent Leadership.
- Awardees are presented with a certificate, a medallion with an embossed image of Ramon Magsaysay and cash prize.
- The award is internationally-recognized as the Nobel Prize counterpart of Asia.
- Winners for 2021: Bangladesh’s Dr. Firdausi Qadri (Affordable Vaccine Champion), Pakistan’s Muhammad Amjad Saqib (Poverty Alleviation Visionary), Filipino fisher and community environmentalist Roberto Ballon, American Steven Muncy for humanitarian work and refugee assistance and Indonesian torch bearer for investigative journalism, Watchdoc.