12th BRICS Summit
- 18 Nov 2020
- 5 min read
Why in News
The Prime minister of India while addressing the 12th BRICS summit held online touched upon issues like terrorism, Covid-19 pandemic and the need for reforms in global bodies.
- Russia was the host and chair of BRICS this year.
- India’s Stand at the Summit:
- Need to confront the countries that supported and sponsored terror and ensure that terrorists and those who support and sponsor terrorists should be held guilty and this problem is addressed in a collective manner.
- India acknowledged the Russian support to the BRICS Counter-Terrorism Strategy and reiterated its support to the strategy.
- It is well aligned with the Brasilia Declaration which condemned terrorism in all forms and manifestation.
- Earlier this year India’s annual resolution on the issue of counter-terrorism was adopted by consensus in the First Committee of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) which also strengthened the war against terrorism.
- United Nation Security Council (UNSC) Reforms:
- India raised the issue of credibility and effectiveness of the institutions that were necessary for global governance, and urged for support from BRICS partners.
- Covid-19 pandemic:
- India addressed the issue of cooperation among the BRICS countries on the production of vaccines for Covid-19.
- Referring to the post Covid-19 economic hardships of the world, India highlighted the importance of BRICS in that scenario.
- BRICS countries will play a significant role in the recovery of the post Covid-19 world as 42% of the world’s population resides in the BRICS countries and the economies are the major engines of the world.
- India also highlighted the scope of increasing trade among the BRICS countries.
- Aatmanirbhar Bharat:
- India introduced Aatmanirbhar Bharat (self-reliant India) to the BRICS.
- India said that the Aatmanirbhar Bharat campaign is based on the subject that a self-reliant and resilient India can become a force multiplier for the post Covid-19 world order.
- A self-reliant India would make solid contributions to the global value chains.
- China’s Stand:
- It has offered to cooperate with India and other BRICS nations in the development of vaccines against the coronavirus
- China said it will open the BRICS partnership on a new industrial revolution innovation centre in the Chinese city of Xiamen.
- China supported the BRICS counter-terrorism strategy that called upon on all countries to take steps to prevent the use of their territories for terrorist activities against other countries or their own citizens.
- Also supported the declaration which talked about respect for territorial integrity of Syria, Libya, Iraq and in the context of the United Nations.
- Russia’s Stand:
- Russia called for a joint effort by the BRICS countries on the development of the coronavirus vaccines.
- It also highlighted the importance of establishing a Centre for Development and Research of BRICS vaccines.
- Importance of BRICS Summit for India and China:
- It provides the Chinese and the Indian leadership an opportunity to exchange their thoughts on key priorities in the backdrop of the continued tension along their borders.
- Both the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation and BRICS have provided recent opportunities for exchange of ideas between the two sides.
- BRICS, being one of the pillars of the emerging fairer polycentric world order, plays an important stabilising role in global affairs.
- In the storming ocean of world politics, BRICS can contribute significantly in maintaining international stability and ensuring global economic growth and becoming a united center of the multipolar world.