Madhya Pradesh Switch to Hindi
President Confers Padma Shri Award on Baiga Painter Jodhaiya Bai Baiga
Why in News?
On 22 March 2023, President Smt. Draupadi Murmu honoured Madhya Pradesh's famous Baiga painter Jodhaiya Bai Baiga with the Padma Shri Award for the year 2023 for her special contribution in the field of arts.
- The award was given in the first phase of the Civil Investiture Ceremony of Padma Awards at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Baiga tribal artist Jodhaiya Bai of Umaria has been awarded the Padma Shri award in the field of art for preserving tribal art and giving it international recognition. Jodhaiya Bai Baiga has been popularising the traditional Baiga tribal culture and philosophy through her paintings for decades.
- Significantly, on International Women's Day on 8 March 2022, the then President Ramnath Kovind honoured Jodhaiya Bai Baiga with the 'Nari Shakti Puraskar' for her extraordinary work towards women empowerment.
- It is noteworthy that on 25 January 2023, on the eve of Republic Day, the country's highest civilian awards 'Padma Awards' for the year 2023 were announced. Among these, four personalities of the state including Jodhaiya Bai Baiga were selected for the Padma Shri award.
- It is known that the Padma Award is included in the country's highest civilian awards. Padma Awards are given in three categories - Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. The awards are announced every year on Republic Day.
- These awards are given in various disciplines/fields of activities such as arts, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service etc.
- 'Padma Vibhushan' is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service, 'Padma Bhushan' for distinguished service of high order and 'Padma Shri' for distinguished service in any field.
- These awards are presented by the President of India at formal functions usually held at Rashtrapati Bhavan around March/April every year.
Switch to Hindi