Karol Bagh | GS Foundation Course | 29 April, 11:30 AM Call Us
This just in:

State PCS

Bihar State PCS

  • 27 Feb 2024
  • 4 min read
  • Switch Date:  
Bihar Switch to Hindi

PM Lays Foundation Stone for Redevelopment of Railway Stations

Why in News?

Recently, Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually laid the foundation stone for redevelopment of 33 railway stations and construction of 72 other projects in Bihar under the East Central Railway (ECR) zone.

Key Points

  • Under the Amrit Bharat Stations scheme, the project aims to enhance connectivity, trade, and business across the country.
  • According to the official statement, thirty-three railway stations which will now be redeveloped in Bihar include: Barauni, Siwan, Munger, Thawe, Sabaur, Arariya, Shivnarayanpur, Dauram Madhepura, Dehri On Sone, Guraru, Karagola Road, Chausa, Laheria Sarai, Banka, Simri Bakhtiyarpur, Supaul, Nawadah, Raxaul, Motipur, Luckeesarai, Masrakh, Rafiganj, Mairwa, Piro, Bikramganj, Labha, Janakpur Road, Chakia, Nabinagar Road, Ghorasshan, Salmari, Ekma and Shahpur Patoree.
  • Under the project, stations will be redeveloped as city centres with provision of amenities like a shopping zone, food court, kids play area, etc.
    • There will be provision of segregated entry and exit gates, multi-level parking, lift escalator, executive lounge, waiting area and travelator at the redeveloped stations.

Amrit Bharat Stations Scheme

  • The Amrit Bharat Station Scheme aims to redevelop 1309 stations nationwide.
  • The redevelopment will provide modern passenger amenities along with ensuring well-designed traffic circulation, inter-modal integration, and signage for the guidance of passengers.
  • The Scheme was launched in February 2023 by the Ministry of Railways.

The East Central Railway (ECR) Zone

  • Its Headquarter is at Hajipur (Bihar) was formed on 1st October 2002.
  • It was established by carving out the Sonepur & Samastipur division of North Eastern Railway & Dhanbad, Danapur & Mughalsarai division of Eastern Railway

Bihar Switch to Hindi

World Bank Loan for Water Management Project

Why in News?

Recently, the Department of Economic Affairs under the Union ministry of finance has granted its approval to the state government's request for a loan from the World Bank for the ambitious Bihar Integrated Water Resources Management Project (BIWRMP).

Key Points

  • The BIWRMP, aligned with the state government's ongoing initiative 'Har Khet Tak Sinchai Ka Pani Nishay' and 'Jal-Jeevan-Hariyali Abhiyan', would be implemented in a span of six years.
    • It has an estimated cost of Rs 4,415 crore, out of which 30% would be borne by Bihar, while the World Bank would provide loan for the remaining 70%.
    • It will address the completion of the long-pending Western Kosi Canal Major Irrigation Project, but will also help restoration of age-old dams in Bihar.
    • It includes crucial projects of interlinking of rivers, control of excess water flow from major rivers to mitigate floods and employing new techniques for long-term protection of river embankments.
  • Advanced measures will be implemented in vulnerable areas along rivers like Ganga, Gandak, Kosi, Mahananda, Burhi Gandak, Kamala, Bagmati, etc. to safeguard them for long-term from erosion.

World Bank

  • It was created in 1944, as the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) along with the IMF. The IBRD later became the World Bank.
  • The World Bank Group is a unique global partnership of five institutions working for sustainable solutions that reduce poverty and build shared prosperity in developing countries.
  • The World Bank is one of the United Nations' specialized agencies.

 Switch to Hindi
SMS Alerts
Share Page