Why in News
- On January 25, 2022, on the occasion of 73rd Republic Day, the President announced 128 Padma Awards for the year 2022. Four persons from Uttarakhand are included in the list of these awards.
- The Padma Awards are the country's highest civilian honors, which are conferred in three categories. These three categories include Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri.
- 'Padma Vibhushan' for exceptional and distinguished service, 'Padma Bhushan' for distinguished service of high order and 'Padma Shri' for distinguished service in any field.
- These awards are given in various disciplines/fields i.e. arts, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc.
- These awards are announced by the President every year on the occasion of 'Republic Day' and are given in formal functions held at Rashtrapati Bhavan, usually in March/April.
- This year the President has approved the conferment of 128 Padma Awards, including 2 Jodi Awards (the award given to a pair is counted as one award). The list includes 4 Padma Vibhushan, 17 Padma Bhushan and 107 Padma Shri awards.
- Among the recipients of Padma awards, 34 are women and 10 persons in this list are under the Foreigner/NRI/PIO/OCI category and 13 persons have been given the award posthumously.
- The following persons from Uttarakhand are included in the list of Padma Awards announced for the year 2022-
- General Bipin Rawat (posthumously) has been selected for the Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian honor in the field of civil service.
- Similarly, Ms. Madhuri Barthwal (Arts), Ms. Basanti Devi (Social Work) and Ms. Vandana Kataria (Sports) have been selected for the Padma Shri.
Switch to Hindi