Rajasthan Switch to Hindi
Four Personalities of the State Selected for Padma Shri Honor
Why In News?
On January 25, 2023, the President announced the country's highest civilian awards 'Padma Awards' for the year 2023 on the eve of Republic Day. Of these, four personalities from Rajasthan have been selected for the Padma Shri award.
- For the year 2023, the President has approved the conferment of 106 Padma Awards including three dual cases (in a dual case the award is counted as one).
- The list includes 6 Padma Vibhushan, 9 Padma Bhushan and 91 Padma Shri awardees. The list of awardees includes 19 women and 2 persons from the category of Foreigners/NRI/PIO/OCI and 7 posthumous awardees.
- The four personalities from Rajasthan selected for the Padma award are Moolchand Lodha, Laxman Singh and Ahmed Hussain and Mohammad Hussain (jointly).
- Social worker Moolchand Lodha of Dungarpur and Laxman Singh of Lapodiya village of Jaipur have been selected for distinguished service in the field of social work, while Hussain Bandhu Ustad Ahmed Hussain and Ustad Mohammad Hussain have been jointly selected for Padma Shri award for distinguished service in the field of art.
- The Hussain brothers of Jaipur, known for their ghazal and qawwali singing, have also been awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in the year 2000.
- Significantly, Padma awards are among the highest civilian awards of the country. The Padma awards are given in three categories - Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. The awards are announced on Republic Day every year.
- The awards, social work public affairs science and engineering are given in the fields of various disciplines trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service etc/activities such as art.
- 'Padma Vibhushan' is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service, 'Padma Bhushan' for distinguished service of high order and 'Padma Shri' for distinguished service in any field.
- These awards are presented by the President of India in ceremonial ceremonies which are usually held at Rashtrapati Bhavan around March/April every year.
Switch to Hindi