Why in News
- Recently, Raipur urban area of Chhattisgarh state has been placed in the category of 'Front Runner' in the 'Sustainable Development Target Urban Index' released by NITI Aayog.
- For the first time, the urban index has been released under such a sustainable development goal by NITI Aayog.
- In the index, 56 urban areas of the country have been ranked on the basis of progress achieved in 77 indices, in which Shimla is on the first rank with the highest score of 75.5. Raipur has secured 20th rank by securing 67.36 marks.
- According to the information received from the Chhattisgarh State Planning Commission, the score and rank of Raipur city in this index is better than many big and major cities like- Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Bhubaneshwar, Lucknow, Prayagraj, Ranchi, Indore.
- The United Nations has set 17 SDG goals to ensure sustainable development. Countries and states are committed to fulfilling the objectives of SDGs.
- In the 'Sustainable Development Goals Urban Index', Raipur city has been ranked as SDG. The highest score was 86 in Goal 12 (Responsible Production and Consumption), 79 in Goal 4 (Quality Education) and Goal 6 (Clean Water and Sanitation).
- Also in Goal 7 (Affordable and Clean Energy), Goal 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure), Goal 11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities), Goal 13 (Climate Action) and Goal 16 (Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions). Good score has been received, due to which Raipur has been placed in the category of 'Front Runner'.
Switch to Hindi