Why In News?
On September 25, 2023, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal inaugurated the construction work of Shri Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib Government Medical College to be built at a cost of about Rs 1200 crore in Panjupur village of Yamuna Nagar district.
- This medical college will be completed in approximately 30 months (about 2 and a half years). This medical college will be equipped with modern facilities, in such a situation people will not have to rush to Chandigarh for treatment.
- With the construction of the medical college, the people of Yamuna Nagar as well as the surrounding states will be able to get good health services.
- Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Himachal will also benefit from this medical college. In the coming days, Haryana will become a state which will provide doctors to other states also.
Why In News?
On September 25, 2023, Chief Minister Manohar Lal has announced a comprehensive ban on serving hookah to customers in hotels, restaurants, bars and commercial establishments across the state on the concluding ceremony of the state level Cyclothon under the drug de-addiction campaign in Karnal, the city of Danveer Karna.
- However, this ban will not apply to traditional hookah used in rural areas.
- Expressing gratitude to the police personnel who worked tirelessly for 25 days (about 3 and a half weeks) during the cyclothon, the Chief Minister announced that all the 250 participating personnel would get Class-I commendation certificates from DGP Haryana.
- Apart from this, he also announced a five-day leave for these dedicated policemen.
- In order to promote bicycle cycling and encourage eco-friendly transport, Manohar Lal also announced that the Haryana Urban Development Authority and any licensed builder providing housing facilities to individuals would gift a bicycle to the property owner along with the property registry.
- In such cases, where the beneficiary already has a bicycle, HSVP or the builder will give Rs 3,000 in exchange for the bicycle.
- It is known that the Chief Minister flagged off the cyclothon against drug abuse on September 1, 2023.
Why In News?
According to information received from the media on September 25, 2023, Chaudhary Charan Singh Agricultural University (HKRI) located in Hisar, Haryana has developed another improved variety of mustard, RH 1975.
- This variety is an excellent variety for timely sowing in irrigated areas, which will give about 12 percent more yield than the existing variety RH 749.
- It is known that Haryana Agricultural University had developed the RH 749 variety in the year 2013. Now after ten years, a better variety than this variety, RH 1975, has been developed for irrigated areas, which will prove to be very beneficial for the farmers due to higher production.
- Vice Chancellor of the University Prof. BR Kamboj said that in the 30th Annual Mustard and Mustard Workshop held in Jammu, a meeting of the Identification Committee constituted under the chairmanship of Dr. TR Sharma, Deputy Director General (Crops), Indian Council of Agricultural Research, was held. Recently, RH 1975 variety has been identified for timely sowing under irrigated conditions.
- The Vice Chancellor said that the RH 1975 variety, which has an average production of 11-12 quintals per acre and a production capacity of 14-15 quintals per acre, has about 39.5 percent oil content, due to which this variety will be more popular among farmers than other varieties.
- This will boost the economic condition of farmers along with an increase in oilseed production.
- RH 1975 variety has been identified for sowing in irrigated areas of Punjab, Delhi, Jammu and North Rajasthan including Haryana, so farmers of these states will get the benefit of this variety. This variety of seed will be made available to the farmers by next year.
- Prior to the above varieties, the mustard variety developed in the year 2018 is RH 725 has become the most popular among farmers at present, which is a single grown variety in about 20 to 25 percent of the area in Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh besides Haryana. This variety gives an average yield of 10-12 quintals per acre and its production capacity is also up to 14-15 quintals per acre.
- Director of Research Dr. Jeetram Sharma said that this variety has been prepared by the team of Mustard Scientists Dr. Ram Avtar, Dr. Neeraj, Dr. Manjeet and Dr. Ashok Kumar in collaboration with Dr. Rakesh Poonia, Dr. Nisha Kumari, Dr. Vinod Goyal, Dr. Mahavir and Dr. Rajbir Singh.
- It is noteworthy that last year this team developed two varieties of mustard RH 1424 and RH 1706. These varieties will also prove to be a milestone in increasing the productivity of mustard.
- The team has also been awarded the Best Centre Award at a workshop held in Jammu recently for its outstanding work in mustard research.
- It is known that the mustard center of Haryana Agricultural University is counted among the best research centers in the country.
Switch to Hindi