Why In News?
- On September 25, 2022, Union Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister Narendra Singh Tomar laid the foundation stone of the organic seed farm of the National Seed Corporation (NSC) in Morena. On its commencement, new organic seeds of oilseeds will be available to the farmers of Madhya Pradesh.
- The Union Minister informed that the Central Government has decided to set up a farm in Morena by improving the land in the rugged area for the production of organic seeds. For this, 885.34 hectares in 4 villages of Morena, Gadora, Jakhauna, Rithora Khurd and Gorkha by the Government of Madhya Pradesh to the Union Agriculture Ministry. The land has been allotted.
- The Union Agriculture Ministry has entrusted the responsibility of developing farms for the production of organic seeds in Morena to the NSP. With this farm, farmers will be aware of modern methods. They will get high quality seeds.
- In Morena, the production of seeds in the Revines area will improve the land and the land will be fertile. Inspired by land reforms, local farmers will be able to improve the land in their fields and produce seeds with the latest scientific method and get high economic benefits from low cost of farming.
- Local and state farmers will be taught the latest seed production techniques through training by the experts of NSC. Local laborers will get employment in the farm through land improvement and seed production. Farmers will get good production by getting latest and genetically and physically pure organic oilseed seeds, which will not only improve the socio-economic status of the farmers of the state, but will also provide nutritional security to the farmers.
- The Union Agriculture Minister said that Morena's seed farm would make full use of science and research for the progress of the farmers. Seed is the basis and main input of agriculture. He said that the availability of good seeds for agriculture benefits the agri-eco-system and the economy as a whole, apart from increasing the productivity and higher income for the farmers.
- Along with ensuring seed availability in the states, the central government helps in the distribution of seeds through various schemes. The Union Agriculture Ministry has implemented the Seeds and Planting Material Sub-Mission from 2014-15 to increase quality seed production and multiplication of crops, so that farmers get enough seeds.
- Seed quality control is being strengthened by states and public sector seed organizations through various seed related activities. In the last eight years, 304 varieties have been notified for commercial farming.
- Union Minister Tomar said that the Ministry of Environment, Forest, Climate Change has taken a big decision to recommend de-notification of 207 hectares of land of National Chambal Wildlife Sanctuary. Due to the revenue land of this sanctuary area, employment at the local level will also increase due to the availability of sand.
Switch to Hindi