Why in News
- On September 23, 2021, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched the Haryana Beekeeping Policy-2021 and Action Plan 2021-2030 with an aim to promote beekeeping in the state.
- During this, the Chief Minister directed the officers to set a target to increase the production of honey by 10 times by 2030. Along with this, he also directed the officials to motivate the farmers to start beekeeping and motivate 5000 new farmers to take this initiative.
- Along with this, he also directed the officials to ensure to focus on small farmers to help them increase their income through beekeeping.
- The Chief Minister said that various initiatives like Honey Trade Centre, Village of Excellence, Testing Lab etc. would be set up by the department to promote beekeeping. He said that the income of farmers would increase manifold by selling honey and its by-products such as royal jelly, beeswax, propolis, bee pollen and bee venom.
- He said that private entrepreneurs should be encouraged to start business for manufacturing bee boxes and the department should be encouraged to monitor the quality of boxes.
- Dr. Arjun Singh Saini, Director General, Department of Horticulture informed that Haryana ranks seventh in the production of honey in the country. Haryana produces 4800 metric tonnes of honey. The country produced about 1 lakh metric tonnes of honey in 2019-2020.
Switch to Hindi