Why in News?
- Additional Chief General Manager of the recently dedicated freight corridor, Y. P. Sharma said that by December 2022, the operation of trains in the Aravali tunnel will start.
- The Aravali Tunnel is the world's first tunnel built under the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor, through which two trains can be evacuated simultaneously.
- The tunnel, constructed in Nuh district of Haryana, is part of the Dadri-Rewari block of the corridor.
- Construction of this tunnel, constructed at a cost of Rs.800 crore, started in November, 2019 and has been completed in July, 2021.
- The tunnel also features operation of double decker trains with overhead electric equipment.
Switch to Hindi