Why is News?
On August 17, 2023, Haryana Agriculture Department Director Narhari Singh Bangar said that the Haryana Agriculture Department will now take the help of Artificial Intelligence (AI) to assess the production and loss of crops. At present, the state government gets this work done through the employees.
- Director Narhari Singh Bangar said that the central and state government has given its approval. For this, applications have been invited from agencies. The government plans to use this technique in the upcoming Rabi season. About seven crore rupees will be spent on this project.
- AI (Artificial Intelligence) is a technology that provides the ability to think and make decisions independently by modeling the processes of the human psyche. Haryana Agriculture Department has aimed to make the process from cultivation to production smooth and safe by using this technology.
- The Agriculture Department estimates the estimated production for crops every year according to the area. For this, the employees of the Agriculture Department select certain areas in the districts and estimate the crop production in that area. Along with this, the department is also dependent on the employees to assess the loss in the crops due to disease or other reasons.
- According to the officials of the Haryana Agriculture Department, photographs of the crop will be taken every week through satellite and other means in the AI model. The AI model will study the color of the crop, the length of the plant, the leaves in the photos given every week. State-of-the-art computers will be used in this.
- The AI model will report twice in the middle of the crop and before harvesting. From this, the production will be estimated. A similar technique will be used for crop damage assessment. From this, it will be known that what kind of disease is there in the crop, if it is there then how much it can affect the production.
- Many times there are complaints of farmers in the assessment of loss that the assessment was not correct. They will not get full compensation. If the assessment of loss from AI's report is correct, farmers will not have such complaints and they will be able to get full compensation for the loss.
- The data that will be collected from AI will be matched with the data collected by the employees. If there is the similarity between the two or there is not much difference, then later the department can get this work done by AI only.
- Paddy, wheat, mustard and cotton will be included in the first phase of the scheme. Karnal and Hisar districts have been selected first under the scheme. About seven crore rupees will be spent on the scheme in both districts. After this, it is proposed to implement the scheme in seven districts and then in the entire state.
- 60 percent expenditure on the scheme will be borne by the Center and 40 percent by the state government.
- These will be the advantages of technology-
- Correct estimation of crop production with the help of AI will make it easier to fix crop prices.
- Use of technology will save human labor and time.
- Cost expenditure on old technology will also come down.
Switch to Hindi