Why in News?
On August 18, 2022, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar gave his approval for sending the preliminary report prepared by the Haryana Irrigation and Water Resources Department regarding ambitious Hathnikund Dam project to the Central Water Commission. Apart from the Water Commission, this report will also be sent to the five states.
- The Chief Minister said that Hathnikund Dam is an ambitious project of Haryana Government. This report is very important in the construction of this project. Every year during the rainy season water is wasted and the Yamuna River area gets flooded. Due to this, the Haryana government has decided to build a dam in Hathnikund.
- The catchment area of this dam is about 11170 square km. Will happen. With its construction, Haryana will not only get electricity but also water supply. The annual power generation capacity of Hathnikund Dam will be 763 MU.
- This dam is to be built in the region of Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh. This report will be sent to the Central Water Commission and the states of Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Delhi.
- The Chief Minister said that with the construction of Hathnikund Dam, ground water recharging will take place in the surrounding area and farmers will get benefit from it. Apart from this, every year during rainy days flood situation arises in the area of the Yamuna River. This destroys the crops of the farmers. With the construction of the dam, the problem of floods will be solved.
- Renuka, Kisau and Lakhwar, all three dams will get the benefit of the construction of this dam. The balancing reservoir function of these three dams will be made Hathnikund Dam.
- The Chief Minister said that the dam would not only supply electricity and water, but it would also be made a center of tourism. Any dam is also important from the point of view of tourism.
Switch to Hindi