Why in News
- On September 15, 2021, Chief Justice of the High Court Justice Raghvendra Singh Chouhan administered the oath of office and secrecy to retired Lieutenant General Gurmeet Singh as the Governor of Uttarakhand at the Raj Bhavan in Uttarakhand.
- Gurmeet Singh has become the eighth governor of Uttarakhand.
- It is noteworthy that Baby Rani Maurya, the 7th Governor of Uttarakhand, resigned from her office on September 8, 2021.
- The first Sikh governor of Uttarakhand was Surjit Singh Barnala, followed by Gurmeet Singh as the second Sikh governor.
- Lieutenant General Gurmeet Singh is also the first Governor of Uttarakhand with military background.
- Lt Gen Gurmeet Singh's native village is Jalal (Amritsar).
Switch to Hindi