Why In News?
- On 15 March 2023, newly elected member of Bihar State Pharmacy Council Arjesh Raj Srivastava said that like other states of the country, Pharmacy Practice Regulation-2015 has been implemented in Bihar. Bihar has become the fourth state in the country to implement pharmacy practice regulation.
- The state health department has informed the Patna High Court about the implementation of pharmacy practice regulation. With its implementation, now the way has also been cleared for the opening of pharma clinics in Bihar. With the opening of this clinic, the vendors in the dispensary will be able to charge a fee for giving information about medicines.
- It is known that the Health Department has recently issued an order to ensure compliance with all the provisions of pharmacy practice regulation 2015 and amendment 2021. This law is currently applicable in three states of the country – Kerala, Karnataka and Delhi.
- The regulation was notified in the Gazette of India on January 16, 2015.
- It is known that Mukesh Kumar, a pharmacist from Bihar, approached the Patna High Court to implement this regulation. When the decision did not come in favour from here, he pleaded with the Supreme Court. Finally, the Supreme Court directed the Patna High Court to see whether the Pharmacy Practice Regulation is being followed in Bihar this sequence, the state government issued an order to implement pharmacy practice regulation.
- Newly elected member of Bihar State Pharmacy Council Arjesh Raj Srivastava said that as soon as this central legislation came into effect, the Bihar Pharmacist Cadre Rules have become ineffective. The implementation of pharmacy practice regulation has paved the way for the formation of a pharmacy directorate.
- In the Pharmacy Practice Regulation, the posts of pharmacist, senior pharmacist, chief pharmacist and drug information pharmacist will be created. Also, purpose, duty, supervision, proper storage, management, distribution, proper use, patient care, review evaluation guidelines have been given for qualification, of these various posts.
- The workplace of the posts created under this will also be decided. According to experts, strict adherence to this regulation will help realise the vision of a healthy Bihar.
- Pharmacists for pharmacy practice are divided into four groups (community pharmacists, hospital pharmacists, drug information pharmacists and clinical pharmacists) according to their field of work.
- According to Section 5, the State Pharmacy Council can check the sites of drug manufacturing and distribution in the state. Whether pharmacists are employed at the site of manufacture and distribution of medicines or not, it has to be reported to the State and Central Pharmacy Council through the Registrar of the Council. This will also curb the illegal drug trade.
Switch to Hindi