Why in News?
According to information received from the media on December 6, 2023, the research of Harshad Srivastava, a PhD student of the Department of Earth Sciences, IIT Kanpur, has found signs of oil and gas near Narcondam Island.
- Indications of gas and oil have been found in the sedimentary basin near Narcondam Island, located 139 km from Andaman Nicobar. A 10 km long liquid layer has been found in the basin, which has increased the possibility of finding gas and oil.
- The final approval will be given after the second phase of research. If this happens then the country will get economic strength.
- This research paper of Harshad Srivastava was published in the German magazine Geo-Marine Letter in October.
- Harshad Srivastava, a PhD student in the Department of Earth Sciences, IIT, started the research in 2019 under the guidance of Dibakar Ghoshal, assistant professor in the department. It took about four years to complete the research.
- This research has been done by analysing the data given by ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation). The first phase of this research, which is being conducted in two phases, has been successful. Oil and gas will be confirmed in the second phase.
- Harshad, originally a resident of Bigahi Bahuara of Ballia district, said that Narcondam Island is a dormant island. The test was conducted from a 2D seismic line in the sea located 30 km from the island. The depth of the sea is about 1.5 km. After deepening the sea, a combined layer of oil and gas 20 metres wide and 10 km long has been found 650 metres below the seafloor.
- Harshad said that this research has been completed with the help of seismic data received from ONGC. Air guns and hydrophone have been used for this data. Using an air gun, a high pressure bubble was sent into the sedimentary layer of water, the pressure of which was recorded with the help of a hydrophone. This is a technique of data collection.
- Harshad said that the second phase of research will confirm the existence of oil and gas through a well log data method. However, well log data is a very expensive process. The cost of one well log will be around Rs 200 crore. There will be manual work in this. Gas and oil are detected by inserting pipes inside water.
Switch to Hindi