Why In News?
On December 1, 2022, Manu Bhaker of Haryana won all the three gold medals at stake in the 25 meter pistol while performing brilliantly in the 65th National Shooting Championship being played in Bhopal. Manu won gold in the senior and junior categories of 25m pistol. Earlier, he had also won gold in the team event of senior and junior competition.
- The 20-year-old shooter from Haryana, Manu Bhaker, defeated CRPF's Pushpanjali Rana 33-27 in the final of the women's section, while in the junior section she defeated her own state's Vibhuti Bhatia 32-24. Vibhuti won bronze in the women's section and Meghna Sadula of Telangana in the junior section.
- The 65th National Pistol Shooting Championship is being held from November 20 to December 10, 2022 at the Madhya Pradesh State Shooting Academy at Bishankhedi in Bhopal.
- More than 5,000 players are participating in this National Shooting Championship.
Why In News?
The Arjuna Award was presented to 25 sportspersons of the country by President Draupadi Murmu at the National Sports Awards-2022 ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan on November 30, 2022. These include five players from Haryana.
- The five sportspersons from Haryana who have been awarded the Arjuna Award include boxer Amit Panghal, Athlete Seema Poonia, wrestlers Anshu Malik and Sarita Mor and badminton para-player Tarun Dhillon.
- Instead of Amit Panghal, his mother received the award from President Draupadi Murmu.
- The Arjuna Award is the oldest national sports award in India. It started in 1961. The award, dedicated to sports personalities for their excellence in sports, is the second most prestigious award after the Khel Ratna. This award is given for outstanding performance, leadership quality, sportsmanship and discipline.
- The Arjuna Award carries a cash prize of Rs 15 lakh, a bronze statuette and a citation.
Switch to Hindi