Why in News?
On the International Day of Persons with Disabilities on December 3, 2023, President Draupadi Murmu honored Jyoti Sinha of Muzaffarpur, Bihar with the National Award 2023 for 'Best Divyangjan' at a grand ceremony in New Delhi.
- It may be noted that on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, President Draupadi Murmu presented the National Award 2023 to 21 individuals and 9 institutions for their exemplary contribution in various fields for the empowerment of persons with disabilities in New Delhi.
- Jyoti Sinha from Bihar, suffering from 70% muscular dystrophy, has been honored with the National Award 2023 for Individual Excellence in the category of Best Disabled Person in the Field of Art and Culture for her excellent work in the field of Madhubani painting.
- It may be noted that in 1969, the Central Government had approved a scheme to confer National Awards on outstanding persons with disabilities as employers and employees. These awards have been instituted with the objective of focusing public attention on issues related to persons with disabilities and promoting their inclusion in the mainstream of society.
- National Awards are given every year on 'International Day of Persons with Disabilities' on 3 December to outstanding individuals/organizations working for the empowerment of persons with disabilities.
- National Awards for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities for the year 2023 have been given under the following categories-
I. National Award for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities-2023-Individual Excellence
- best disabled person
- super disabled person
- Locomotor Challenge - (Locomotor, Muscular Challenges, Dwarfism, Acid Attack Victims, Leprosy Survivors, Cerebral Palsy)
- Visual impairment – (blindness, low vision)
- Hearing loss (deaf, hard of hearing, speech and language challenges)
- Intellectual disability (mental retardation, psychotic behavior, specific learning challenges, autism spectrum disorder)
- Any specified disability other than those mentioned above.
- Best Disabled Child/Girl
- Best person - working for the empowerment of persons with disabilities
- Best Rehabilitation Professional (Rehabilitation Professional/Worker) – working in the field of disability
II. National Award for institutions engaged in empowering persons with disabilities-2023
- Best Institute for Empowerment of Disabled (Private Organization, NGO)
- Best Employer for Disabled - (Government Organization/PSE/Autonomous Body/Private Sector)
- Best State/UT/District in implementation of Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan/creation of barrier free environment
- Best accessible means of transport/information and communication technology (government/private organizations)
- Best State/UT/District in implementation of Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act/UDID and other schemes for empowerment of persons with disabilities.
- Commissioner of Persons with Disabilities of the State best in implementation of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 in his/her State
- Best organizations engaged in development of rehabilitation professionals
Switch to Hindi