Why In News
In the meeting held in the auditorium of the Central Library on November 29, 2023, it was told that for the first time in the history of Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapeeth, the President will be the chief guest of the convocation ceremony.
- The 45th convocation of the university will be held on December 11, 2023. Governor Anandi Ben Patel will preside over the convocation ceremony.
- Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapeeth is a university located in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. Earlier it was known only as Kashi Vidyapeeth, but later (on July 11, 1995) it was rededicated to the Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi and his name was added to it.
- Kashi Vidyapeeth was established at Bhadaini, Varanasi by Babu Shiv Prasad Gupta on 10 February 1921 (on the auspicious occasion of Basant Panchami) during the Non-Cooperation Movement. Gandhiji had laid its foundation stone. Soon Kashi Vidyapeeth became the center of national education through Hindi medium.
- In July 1963, it was declared a deemed university by the University Grants Commission. It was given the status of Chartered University from January 15, 1975.
- Alumni of Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapeeth include-
- Chandrashekhar Azad, Indian freedom fighter
- Lal Bahadur Shastri, former Prime Minister of India
- Ramakrishna Hegde, former Chief Minister of Karnataka
- B.V Keskar, former Union Minister of India
- Kalraj Mishra, former Governor of Rajasthan
- Bhola Paswan Shastri, former Chief Minister of Bihar
- Tribhuvan Narayan Singh, former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh
- Kamalapati Tripathi, former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh
Switch to Hindi