Why In News?
- On September 30, 2022, in the presence of President Draupadi Murmu at Talkatora Stadium in New Delhi, Union Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri conferred the Swachh Survekshan 2022 award to Jharkhand as the second topper state in the country among the states with 100 urban bodies.
- On behalf of the state government, Amit Kumar, director of the State Urban Development Agency under the Urban Development and Housing Department, received the honor.
- Along with the second topper award to Jharkhand in Swachh Survekshan 2022, some other cities have also been honored in various categories, which are as follows:
- Chaibasa was awarded for Best Citizen Feedback in the Municipal Bodies having population of 50000 to 100000 of Eastern Zone.
- Bundu was awarded for best citizen feedback among the municipal bodies with a population of 15000 to 25000 in the eastern zone.
- Three municipal bodies of Jharkhand were also honored in the Indian Sanitation League organized by the Central Government on September 17, 2022 in cities across the country. Union Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri felicitated Jamshedpur notified area, Mango and Medninagar for their outstanding performance in the Indian Sanitation League.
- It is worth mentioning that the situation of Jharkhand was not very appreciable in Swachh Survekshan 2016, but in the continuous Swachh Survekshan 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022, the state has received many honors in the field of cleanliness with the cooperation of the people of the state and the efficient guidance of urban bodies and the state government.
- The Jharkhand government and its bodies have so far won several awards in the Swachh Survekshan. In the Swachh Survekshan 2022, the department and bodies had taken several important steps-
- Before Swachh Survekshan 2022, meetings, workshops and campaigns were organized in all the bodies.
- Programmes were organized to ensure participation of every section of the society.
- Door-to-door waste collection was ensured in cities and bodies.
- Segregation and Processing of Waste was given priority.
- Municipal bodies and citizens were encouraged for peat composting and onsite composting.
- Recyclers were linked with the civic bodies.
- Carry bags made of plastic were banned and the use of single-use plastic was reduced.
- Problems related to cleanliness were quickly diagnosed through the Cleanliness App.
Switch to Hindi