Why In News?
On September 28, 2023, Uttar Pradesh achieved 100% ODF Plus coverage under Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) Phase II.
- All the 95,767 villages in Uttar Pradesh, i.e. 100% villages under Phase II of the Mission have achieved ODF Plus status. ODF Plus Village is one that has maintained its Open Defecation Free (ODF) status along with implementing solid or liquid waste management systems.
- So far, 4.4 lakh (75%) villages across the country have declared themselves ODF Plus, a significant step towards achieving the goals of Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) Phase II by 2024-25.
- In the current financial year as on January 1, 2023, there were only 15,088 villages in Uttar Pradesh that were declared ODF plus. In a short span of just 9 months, the state made efforts to achieve ODF Plus in mission mode.
- In the last 9 months, more than 80,000 villages achieved ODF plus status and this accelerated pace resulted in the time-bound achievement of ODF Plus.
- Capacity building at panchayat level and on-site support were key factors for faster implementation.
- Out of 95,767 ODF plus villages, 81,744 villages are ODF plus aspirational villages with provision of solid waste management or liquid waste management, 10,217 villages are ODF plus emerging villages with both solid waste management and liquid waste management and 3,806 villages are ODF.
- The ODF Plus Model Village is one which is maintaining its ODF status and has both solid waste management and liquid waste management and inspects visual hygiene, i.e., minimum waste, minimum stagnant waste water, no plastic waste dumping in public places and where ODF plus information, Education and Communication (IEC) messages are displayed.
Switch to Hindi