Chhattisgarh PCS Preliminary & Mains Syllabus
- 01 Aug 2021
- 27 min read
STATE SERVICE PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION
Question Paper 1 General Studies
(Questions 100, Marks 200), Time : 2 hours
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Physical, Social & Economic Geography of India
- Constitution of India &, Polity
- Indian Economy
- General Science & Technology
- Indian Philosophy, Art, Literature & Culture
- Current Affairs & Sports
General Knowledge of Chhattisgarh
- History of Chhattisgarh & Contribution of Chhattisgarh in Freedom Movement.
- Geography, Climate, Physical status, Census, Archeological and
- Tourist Centres of Chhattisgarh.
- Literature, Music, Dance, Art and Culture, Idioms and Proverbs, Puzzle/riddle, Singing of Chhattisgarh.
- Tribes, Special Traditions, Teej and Festivals of Chhattisgarh.
- Economy, Forest and Agriculture of Chhattisgarh.
- Administrative Structure, Local Government and Panchayati Raj of Chhattisgarh.
- Industry in Chhattisgarh, Energy, Water and Mineral Resource of Chhattisgarh.
- Current Affairs of Chhattisgarh.
Question Paper 2 Aptitude Test
(Questions 100, Marks 200), Time: 2 hours.
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude (etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. Class X level)
- Knowledge of Hindi Language (Class X level)
- Knowledge of Chhattisgarhi Language
Knowledge of Hindi Language and Chhattisgarhi Language will be tested in Hindi and Chhattisgarhi Language only, without providing translation.
STATE SERVICE MAINS EXAMINATION
Question Paper – 1 Language
(Marks: 200, Duration: 3 hours)
Part 01–General Hindi
- Hindi Comprehension,
- Precis writing
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- One word for several words
- Word Correction
- Sentence Correction
- Same usage and same nature words
- Sentence and Correction in framing
- Hindi Compound Sentences
- Prefix and suffix
- Idioms and Phrases
- Letter Writing
Part 02–General English
- Precis Writing
- Re-arrangement and Correction of Sentences
- Filling the Blanks
- Correction of Spellings
- Vocabulary and usage
- Idioms and Phrases
- Active Voice and Passive voice
- Parts of Speech
Part 03-Chhattisgarhi Language
- Knowledge of Chhattisgarh language
- History of Chhattisgarh language
- Sentence structure
Question Paper – 2 Essay
(Marks: 200, Duration- 3 hours)
Part 01: International and National Issues
- Candidates will have to write two essays on issues (Reason, present status, including data and solution) from this part. Four problems will be given in this part; the Candidate will have to write two essays on this part about 750-750 words. Each issue in this part will carry 50 marks.
Part II: Chhattisgarh State Issues.
- Candidates will have to write two essays on issues (Reason, present status, including data and solution) from this part. Four problems will be given in this part; the Candidate will have to write two essays on this part about 750-750 words. Each issue in this part will carry 50 marks
Question Paper – 3 History, Constitution and Public Administration
(Marks 200, Duration 3 hours)
Part 01–History of India
- Indus Civilization
- Vedic Civilization
- Jainism and Buddhism
- Rise of Magadh Empire
- Mauryan Polity and Economy
- Gupta Empire
- Development of Art
- Literature & Science In Gupta- Vakataka Period
- Bhakti Movement
- Growth of Literature in regional Languages
- Vijayanagar Kingdom
- Rise of Marathas
- Advent of Europeans and factors leading to the British Supremacy
- Expansion of British Empire- Wars and diplomacy
- Rural Economy-Agriculture
- Land Revenue Systems - Permanent Settlement, Ryotwari, Mahalwari, Decline of handicrafts, Relation of East India Company with States, Changes in Administrative Structure, Urban Economy after 1858, Development of Railways, Industrialization
- Constitutional Development
- Rise of Nationalism
- The Revolt of 1857
- Establishment of Indian National Congress
- Partition of Bengal and Swadeshi Movement
- Rise and Growth of Communalism
- Revolutionary Movements
- Home Rule Movement
- Gandhian Movements
- Workers, Peasant and Tribal Movements
- Quit India Movement
- Indian National Army
- Independence and Partition of India
- Merger of States
- Socio - Religious Reform Movements - Brahmo Samaj, Arya Samaj, Prarthana Samaj, Ramakrishna Mission
Part 02-Constitution & Public Administration
- Constitutional Development of India (1773-1950), Formation of the Constitution and Salient Features, Preamble, Nature of the Constitution.
- Fundamental Rights and Duties.
- Directive Principles of State Policy.
- Union Executive, Legislative and Judiciary.
- Right to Constitutional Remedies, Public Interest Litigation, Judicial Activism, Judicial Review.
- Attorney General.
- State Executive, Legislature and Judiciary, Advocate General.
- Centre-State Relationship- Legislative, Executive and Financial.
- All India Services. Union and State Public Service Commission.
- Emergency Provisions, Constitutional Amendments.
- Concept of Basic Structure.
- Govt. of Chhattisgarh -Legislative, Executive and Judiciary.
- Public Administration- meaning, scope, nature and importance.
- Public Administration and Private Administration under Liberalizations.
- New Public Administration, Development Administration and Comparative Administration.
- New dimensions in Public Administration.
- State vs. Market.
- Rule of Law.
- Organisation- Principles, approaches and structure. Management- Leadership, Policy determination, Decision making.
- Instruments of Administrative Management- Co-ordination, Delegation, Communication, Observation and Motivation.
- Administrative Reforms.
- Good Governance, E-Governance.
- District Administration.
- Control on Administration in India - Parliamentary, Financial Judicial and Executive.
- Lokpal and Lok Ayukta.
- Right to lnformation.
- Panchayats and Municipalities.
- Parliamentary- Presidential, Unitary-Federal Government.
- Theory of Separation of Powers. Administrative Structure of Chhattisgrah.
Part 03– History of Chhattisgarh and Contribution of Chhattisgarh in National Movement
- Prehistoric age, history of Chhattisgarh from Vedic age to Gupta Period
- Major dynasties like Rajarshi Tulya Kula, Nala, Sharabhpuriyas, Pandu, Somvanshiya
- The Kalachuris and their Administration, Chhattisgarh under the Marathas, Former princely states of Chhattisgarh and
Zamindaris, British Rule in Chhattisgarh, Feudatory States, Revolt of 1857, Freedom Movement in Chhattisgarh, Workers, Peasant and Tribal Movements, Constitution of Chhattisgarh State.
Question Paper – 4 Science, Technology and Environment
(Marks 200, Duration 3 hours)
Part 01-General Science
- Rate of chemical reaction and chemical equilibrium - Preliminary knowledge of rate of chemical reaction.
- Fast and slow chemical Reversible and irreversible chemical reactions. Reversible reaction and dynamic nature of equilibrium.
- Acids and bases.
- pH scale [simple numerical questions).
- Exothermic and endothermic reactions.
- Some important chemical compounds - properties and uses. Method of production manufacture [water, washing soda, baking soda bleaching powder and plaster of Paris].
- Preparation of building material-lime cement glass and steel.
- Metals - Position of metals in the periodic table and general properties.
- Mineral ore, Difference between mineral and ore.
- Metallurgy-concentration, roasting, smelting, refining of ores.
- Metallurgy of copper and Iron.
- Corrosion of metals.
- Nonmetals - Position of nonmetals in the periodic table.
- Preparation properties and uses of Hydrogen oxygen and nitrogen.
- Some important organic compounds - laboratory method of preparing alcohol and acetic acid, properties and uses some general artificial polymers, polythene, polyvinyl chloride.
- Teflon soap and detergents.
- Source of Energy - Conventional and new sources of energy, source of solar energy, causes of origin of energy in the Sun, solar heating devices, solar cooker solar cell, wind energy, biogas, fossil fuels, ideal fuel properties of ideal fuel.
- Nuclear energy, nuclear Fission, Fusion, chain reaction, nuclear reactor, uses and harms of nuclear energy.
- General information about CREDA. Light - nature of light reflection of light, laws of reflection, reflection from plane and curved surface, image formation by plane convex and concave mirror, relation between focal length and radius of curvature, determination of focal length of concave mirror by single pin method.
- Relation between u-v-f numerical examples; Refraction of light - laws of refraction, refraction by glass slab, critical angle, total internal reflection, use of total internal reflection in daily life.
- Lens (converging and diverging lens).
- Definition focal length optical centre image formation by lens.
- Human eye, its defects and remedies.
- Comparison between photographic camera and human eye.
- Simple telescope and astronomical telescope.
- Construction working, uses, ray diagram [no formula derivation].
- Electricity and its effects - electric intensity, potential, potential difference, electric current Ohm’s law.
- Resistance specific resistance, influencing factors, combination of resistance and related numerical examples thermal effect of current it’s use, calculation of power and electrical energy spent. (numerical) precautions observed in electric experiments.
- Chemical effects of electric current.
- Primary and secondary cells their properties and drawback.
- Leclanche cell, dry cell, lead accumulator cell, construction.
- Magnetic effect of current - Magnetic effect of current, Oersted experiment, electromagnetic induction, electric motor, working principle and use of generator, general studies of alternating current and direct current, electric discharge in gases, discharge tube, cathode rays, X-rays and their properties.
- Magnetism - Magnet and its types artificial magnet, methods of preparing magnets, molecular theory of magnetism, demagnetization, magnetic keepers, magnetic lines of force and their properties.
- Plotting the lines of force Terrestrial magnetism, magnetic storm. Magnetic meridian geographical meridiaan, relation between VHI and θ
- Animal nutrition - Types of nutrition, Autotrophic Nutrition, heterotrophic Nutrition, Holozoic, Parasitic, Saprophytic, symbiotic, Insectivorous.
- Important terms of nutrition process.
- Digestion in unicellular cell animal [amoeba] and multicellular animal grasshopper.
- Human digestive system and digestive process.
- Photosynthesis, main steps of the process.
- light reaction and dark reaction.
- Factors influencing Photosynthesis.
- Experiments related to photosynthesis.
- Respiration - Definition, respiratory organs of animals breathing and respiration, Types of respiration, Aerobic and anaerobic respiration, respiratory system of human being and mechanism of respiration [general information], respiratory quotient [RQ] of carbohydrate, fat and protein.
- Transport of mineral and water in plants and animals [in context of human being] Composition And function of blood, structure and working of heart, structure and function of blood vessels [preliminary knowledge] coagulation of blood, blood group, blood transfusion, blood bank, function of lymph system. diseases related to heart.
- Excretion - excretion in plants and excretory product. Excretion in animal and excretory organs.
- Excretion system of man and excretion process [general information] artificial kidney dialysis.
- Diseases related to kidney.
- Control and coordination - coordination in plants and animal Phytohormones.
- Nervous system of human being.
- Structure and function of human Brain and spinal cord, reflex action, endocrine glands hormone and their function.
- Reproduction and growth - type of reproduction Asexual reproduction fission, budding, regeneration, vegetative reproduction, layering, cutting, grafting, Parthenogenesis, sexual reproduction in plants, structure of flower and reproduction process [general information] pollination fertilization.
- Human reproductive system and reproduction process.
- Heredity and evolution - heredity and variation. Basis of heredity chromosome and DNA [preliminary information] gene.
- sex determination preliminary knowledge of organic evolution [Oparin’s theory only].
Part 02-Aptitude Test, Logical Reasoning, Mental Ability
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of rational numbers. Finding the rational number between two rational numbers. Ratio and Proportion - definition, properties, atemendo, invertendo, componendo etc. and their uses.
- Commercial Mathematics - Banking, calculation of interest on/in savings account, fixed deposit account and recurring deposit account.
- Calculation of income tax (for salaried person and excluding house rent allowance).
- Factorization, LCM, HCF. Vedic Mathematis- addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and checking the answer through bijank. Square, square roots, cube, cube roots, vinculam and its application. The application of vedic mathematics methods in algebra etc.
- Introduction and creativity of Indian Mathematician - in reference with Aryabhata, Yaraha mihira, Brahma gupta, Bhaskaracharya, Shrinivas Ramanujan. Mathematical operations, Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, order of magnitudes etc.). Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc.) and analysis of data. Arithmetic mean, Median, Mode, Probability. Question related to addition and multiplication theorem on probability.
- Applied mathematics - Profit and Loss, Percentage, lnterest and Averages.
- Time, speed, distance, river and boat.
- Analog Test, Odd word, Odd pair of words, Coding & Decoding Test, Relation Test, Alphabet Test, Mathematical Operations, Logical analysis of words, Inserting the missing number or word, Assertion and Reason, Situation reaction test, Figure series, Deletion of elements, General Mental ability.
Part 03-Applied and Behavioural Science
- Role of Information Technology in Rural India, basic knowledge of computer, computers in communication and broadcasting, software development for economic growth. Broad applications of IT.
- Energy Resources: Demand of Energy, renewable and nonrenewable energy resources of energy, the development and utilization of nuclear energy in the country.
- Science & Technology developments in India in present, origin of agriculture, Progress of Agricultural Science and its impact, Crop science in India, Fertilizer, Control of pests and disease scenario in lndia.
- Bio-diversity and its conservation - General introduction - defination, species and genetic diversity, Bio-geographical classification of India, lmportance of Bio-Diversity.
- Constructive and Distructive application, Importance of social, moral and alternative vision, Global, National and Local level Bio-diversity, India as a mega biodiversity nation, Hotspots of Biodiversity, threats to biodiversity, loss of habitat, damage to wildlife, humans and wild animals conflict, lndia's threatened,endangered and endamic species, Conservation of bio-diversity.
- Topological and Nontopological conservation.
- Enviromental pollution - Causes, effect and control measures- Air pollution, water pollution, marine pollution, soil pollution, sound/noise pollution, thermal pollution, nuclear pollution.
- Solid waste managment - Urban and Industrial solid waste management: Causes, effect and control, Human role in pollution control.
Question Paper – 05 Economics and Geography
(Marks 200, Duration 3 hours)
Part 01 – Economics of India and Chhattisgarh
- National and per capita Income, Economic Reforms, Monetary Policy, Literacy and Occupational Structure, Rural Development, Budgetary Policy, Structure and Growth of Cooperatives, Child Labour and Women Empowerment.
- In Reference with C.G. -
- Demographic features and social backwardness of the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Backward
classes and Minorities.
- Literacy and occupationalstructure, changes in the sectoral distribution of income
- Socio, Political and Economic empowerment of Women. Child Labour problem.
- Rural Development, State Finance and Budgetary policy- Tax structure, Sharing in Central Taxes, Expenditure
pattern in Revenue and Capital Account as well as plan and non-plan expenditure.
- Public Debt composition- Internal and External Debt including World Bank loans, Institutional and non-institutional
sources of Rural Credit in Chhattisgarh. Structure and growth of Co-operatives and their shares in total
credit, adequacy and problems.
- Demographic features and social backwardness of the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Backward
Part 02 – Geography of India
- Physical features of India, location & extension, Geological Structure, Physical Divisions, Drainage System, Climate, soil, Vegetation and impoftance of forest, Indian forest policy, Forest conservation, Human Characteristics - Population, Census, Population Growth, Density and Distribution.
- Birth rate, Mortality rate, Infant Mortality rate, Migration, Literacy, Occupational Structure, Urbanization.
- Agriculture - Characteristics of Indian agriculture, Agricultural food Crops, Cereal, pulses, Oilseeds and other crops, Production and distribution, mean of irrigation and its importance, Modemization of agriculture, problems of agriculture and planning, Irrigation multipurpose projects, Green revolution, white revolution, Blue revolution.
- Mineral resources- mineral storage, production and distribution of mineral.
- Energy resources- coal, Petroleum, thermal power energy, nuclear energy, non conventional sources of energy.
- Industries- development and structure of industries in India, large Scale medium, small and smallest scale, agriculture, forest and mineral based industries.
Part 03 – Geography of Chhattisgarh
- Physical features of Chhattisgarh, location & extension, Geological Structure, Physical Divisions, Drainage System, Climate, soil, Vegetation and wild life, importance of forest, wild life management system, national parks and sanctuaries, State forest policy, Forest conservation.
- Human Characteristics - Population, Population Growth, Density and Distribution. Birlh rate, Mortality rate, Infant Mortality rate, Migration, Sex ratio, age group, schedule caste population Literacy, Occupational Structure, Urbanization, family welfare programs,.
- Agriculture -Agricultural food Crops, Cereal, pulses, Oilseeds and other crops, Production and distribution, mean of irrigation and its importance, important irrigation projects, problem of agriculture and state scheme for farmers benefits.
- Mineral resources- various types mineral storage in Chhattisgarh, production and distribution of mineral.
- Energy resources- coal, Thermal power energy, non conventional sources of energy.
- Industries- development and structure ofindustries in Chhattisgarh, large Scale medium, small and smallest scale, agricultural, forest and mineral based industries, mean of transportation and tourism.
Question Paper – 06 Philosophy and Sociology
(Marks 200, Duration 3 hours)
- Nature of Philosophy, its relationship between religion and culture, difference between lndian and
- Veda and upanishada-Brahman, Atman, Rit, Philosophy of Gita - Sthitpragya, Swadharma, Karmayoga, Philosophy of Charvaka-Epistemology, Metaphysics, Hedonism' Philosophy of Jain - Nature of Jiva, Anekantvada, Syadavada, Panchamahavrata, Philosophy of Buddha pratityasamutpada, Ashtanga Marg, Anatmavada, Kshanikvada, Philosophy of Samkhya - Satkaryavada' nature of prakriti and purusha, vikasavada.
- Philosophy of Yoga - Ashtanga Yoga, Philosophy of Nyaya - prama, Aprama, Asatkaryavada, Philosophy of Vaisheshika - Parmanuvada, Philosophy of Mimamsa - Dharma, Theory of Apurva, Philosophy of Advaita Vedanta- Brahman, Maya, Jagat, Moksha' Kautilya -Theory of Saptanga, theory of Mandal, Gurunanak.
- Social-ethical philosophy, Guru Ghasidas - Characteristics of Satnam pantha, Vallabhacharya - Pushtimarga, Swami Vivekananda - Practical Vedanta, Universal Religion, Sri Aurbindo - intergral yoga, supermind Mahatma Gandhi- Ahinsa' Satyagraha, elevan vows, Bhimrao Ambedkar.
- Social Thought, Deendayal Upadhyay - Ekatma manav darshan, Plato - virtus, Aristotle.
- Theory of causation, Saint Anselm - ontological argument for the existance of God.
- Descaftes - method of doubt, I think therefore I am, Spinoza - Substance' Pantheism' Leibnitz - theory of Monad, Theory of Pre - stablished harmony, Locke - epistemology' Berkeley - esseest percipii, Hume - Scepticism, Kant - criticism, Hegel - Phenomenology and spirit, dialectical Idealism'' Bradley - Idealisrn. Moore - Realism, A.J. Ayar - verification theory, John dewey - Pragmatism, Saftre -Existentialism, Meaning of Religion, Nature of Philosophy of Religion, Religious tolerance' secularism' problem of evil.
- Ethical Values and ethical Dilemma, ethical elements in Administration- Honesty' Responsibility, Transparency, code of conduct for Public Servants.
- Corruption - Meaning, Types, cause and Effect, Efforts to remove corruption.
- Relevence of whistle-blower.
- Sociology- Meaning, Scope and nature, Importance of its study. Relation with other Social Sciences.
- Primary Concepts - Society, Community, Association, lnstitution, Social group' Folkways and Mores.
- Individual and Society - Social interactions, Status and role, culture and Personality' Sociolisation.
- Hindu Social organization - Religion, Asharrn, Varna, Purusharth. Social Stratification - caste and class.
- Social Processes - Social Interaction, co-operation, Struggle, competition.
- Social control and Social change - sources and agencies of Social control, Processes and factors of Social change.
- India, Social Problems, Social disorganization-Anomie and Alienation.
- Inequality' Social Research and Techniques - objective of Social Research, Use of scientific method to study of Social
phenomena, problems of objectivity.
- Tools and techniques of data collection- Observation, Interview' Questionnaire, Schedule.
Part 03-Social Aspect of Chhattisgarh
- Tribal social-'organization: Marriage, Family, CIan, youth dormitories.
- Tribal Development:History, programmes and policies, The Constitutional System, Special Primitive Tribes of Chhattisgarh'
other Tribes, Schedule cast and other Backword class of chhattisgarh.
- Main ornaments popular in tribes of chhattisgarh, Special traditions.
- Tribal Problems : lsolation Migration and acculturation' Folk arts of chhattisgarh, Folk literature and Prominent Folk Artists of Chhattisgarh, Folk songs of chhattisgarh, Folk legend, Folk theater, Idioms and Proverbs, Puzzle-riddle, Singing,
Literary, Music and Art.
- lnstitutions of Chhattisgarh State; Chhattisgarh State awards in these fields' Folk culture of Chhattisgarh, Major Fairs and Festivals of Chhattisgarh. Protected Archaeological monuments' sites and excavated sites in State.
- Tourism places marked by chhattisgarh Govt, National Parks' Sanctuaries and Waterfalls and caves of Bastar, Major sants of Chhattisgarh.
Question Paper – 07 Welfare, Development Programme & Laws
(Marks 200, Duration 3 hours)
Part 01-Welfare, Development Programme & Laws
- Social and Important Legislation - Indian Society, Social legislation as a form of a mean of social
transform. Human Rights protection Legislation 1993, Protection granted to Females (cRPc) under
Indian Constitution & Criminal Law (Penal Code).
- Protection Act 2005 to Females from Domestic violation, civil Rights protection Act 1955, Scheduled castes and Scheduled rribes Atrocity Protection Law 1989, Right to lnformation Act 2005, Environment Protection Act 1986, Consumer Protection Act
1986, Information Technology Act 2000, corruption Prevention Act 1988.
- In Reference to Chhattigarh: customary various Laws and Acts in chhattisgarh and their welfare and developmental impact on residents of Chhattisgarh.
- Welfare Schemes of Chhattisgarh Government: Customary welfare, People-oriented and Important
Schemes introduced in various times by Chhattisgarh Government.
Part 02–International & National Sports, Events & organisation
- United Nations and its Associated Organizations. International Monetary Fund, World Bank and Asian
Bank, SAARC, BRICS, Other Bilateral and Regional Groups, World Trade Organization and its impact
on India. National and lnternational Sports and Competition.
Part 03-International & National Educational Institute & their Role of Human Development
- Availability of Skilled Human Resource, Employability and Productivity of Human Resources, Institutions and Councils in Human Resources Development, Higher Education and Technical Education, Vocational Education