Uttarakhand Ranks 14th in the Country in the Social Progress Index Report
- 13 Feb 2023
- 3 min read
Why In News?
According to information received from media sources on February 12, Uttarakhand is at 14th position in the country by scoring 62.19 out of 100 marks in the Social Progress Index report released by Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Council.
- According to the Social Progress Index report, Goa has topped with a score of 74.78 in providing basic amenities to the citizens. At the same time, Assam is at the last place, which has got only 36.14 marks.
- In the context of Himalayan states, Uttarakhand is ranked fifth among the 12 Himalayan states while Mizoram has got the first place.
- Each State has been tested on four parameters to ascertain the level of fulfilment of basic needs. Many points have also been included in these criteria. These four parameters are as follows:
- Nutrition and basic health security: What percentage of citizens are getting the benefit of adequate food and basic medical care.
- Water and sanitation: What are the quality of drinking water being provided to the citizens and how much cleanliness is being taken care of in their surroundings.
- Housing: What percentage of citizens have got housing facilities with basic utilities. How much benefit did they get from government schemes?
- Personal Security: It was also tested what is the level of security of the citizens. For this, road safety was also studied along with the level of crime.
- Uttarakhand scored water and50.30 points, sanitation 67.94, housing 62.77 and personal security 67.74 points.
- Himalayan states got marks- Mizoram-67.06, Sikkim-65.65, Himachal Pradesh-65.32, Nagaland-63.26, Uttarakhand-62.19, Jammu-Kashmir-59.39, Arunachal Pradesh- 57.72, Manipur-56.53, Tripura-50.80, Meghalaya-46.61 and Assam-36.14 marks.
- Among the Himalayan states, Uttarakhand is better than Mizoram in terms of housing based on the prescribed standards. In this, Uttarakhand is in third place, while Mizoram is in fourth place.
- Uttarakhand also ranks third in terms of quality and sanitation of drinking water. Uttarakhand has been ranked fourth in terms of personal security.
- The worst situation is in nutrition and basic health security, in which Uttarakhand is at the eighth position.
- Dehradun district is at the top in the state in terms of meeting the basic needs of the citizens. For this, Dehradun has got 71 out of 100 marks.