Under-19 Badminton Tournament
- 04 Jul 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
- Noida's Neer Nehwal and Noida's Chirag Sethi became the champions in the men's singles category in the Under-19 of the Vijay Sharma Memorial UP East Zone Selection Badminton Tournament in Agra on July 3, 2022.
- In the under-19 final match at the Eklavya Sports Stadium, Noida's Neer Nehwal defeated Harshit Tomar of Noida 21-19, 21-10 to clinch the championship.
- Chirag Sethi of Noida won the final match of men's singles by defeating Prateek Srivastava of Prayagraj 21-11, 21-08. In the men's doubles final match, the pair of Siddharth Salar and Siddharth Mishra won the title by defeating the pair of Chandra Bhushan Tripathi and Kapil Chaudhary of Saharanpur.
- It may be recalled that the Vijay Sharma Memorial East Zone Selection, the biggest tournament in Uttar Pradesh, was organized by the Badminton Association Agra from June 30 to July 3 at the Eklavya Sports Stadium .
- In the girls' U-19 doubles, Shivangi Singh and Tanisha Singh of Basti defeated the duo of Aditya Yadav and Nehal Neeru Mittal of Gorakhpur and Lucknow 21-17, 21-13 to clinch the title.
- In Women's Open category, Samridhi Singh of Lucknow and Sonali Singh of Noida defeated Mahi Naresh and Mayuri Yadav of Ghaziabad and Prayagraj 21-13, 21-15 to claim the trophy.
- A prize of one lakh rupees was distributed among the winning players in this tournament.
- In the Under-19 doubles competition of the tournament, Daksh Gautam of Agra and Ujjwal of Meerut defeated the pair of Shashank of Muzaffarnagar and Ujjwal Tomar of Bareilly by 21-17, 21-18 to win the tournament.
- In the Mix Doubles Under-19 final, Daksh Gautam of Agra and Shivangi Singh of Basti defeated the pair of Shivam Srivastava and Aditya Yadav of Gorakhpur 21-19, 21-17.