The Chief Minister Launched the Brochure of the International Year of Millets- 2023 at the 36th Suraj Kund Fair.
- 09 Feb 2023
- 1 min read
Why In News?
On February 8, 2023, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal launched the International Year of Millets 2023 brochure of the Ministry of Development of Northeast Region at the 36th Suraj Kund International Handicrafts Fair.
- Many delicious and healthy dishes prepared from millets are also being prepared in Suraj Kund international fair.
- India's 2023 was approved by proposal to celebrate the International Year of Nutrient Cereals in the year the year 2018 the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in and the United Nations Council has declared the year 2023 as the International Year of Millets 2023.
- It was adopted by a UN resolution led by India and supported by over 70 countries.
- The International Year of Nutritious Cereals 2023 also aims to ensure nutritional security by increasing the consumption of millets. Eight millets have been identified for this, including Jowar, Bajra, Ragi, Kodo, Kutki, Kangni, Chena, Sawa etc.
- Millet is divided into two categories based on size. One small grain and one coarse grain. Coarse grains include jowar, bajra, and ragi, while fine grains include Kangni, Kodo, Cheena, Sawa, and Kutki.