The Chhattisgarh Ground Water (Management and Regulation) Bill, 2022
- 30 Sep 2022
- 2 min read
Why In News?
On September 29, 2022, Chhattisgarh Governor Anusuiya Uikey signed the Chhattisgarh Ground Water (Management and Regulation) Bill, 2022. This bill was passed by the Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly on July 25, 2022.
- It is noteworthy that this bill has been passed in relation to the issues of protection, protection, control etc. to ensure the management of ground water, both quantitatively and qualitatively, especially in the distressed rural and urban areas in the state.
- In this bill, a provision has been made to set up a State Ground Water Management and Regulatory Authority at the state level under the chairmanship of the Chief Secretary. Apart from this, this authority will also have 16 members. In this, a provision has been made to nominate three subject-experts and an eminent person from the public / non-governmental organization / social sector, having experience of doing long-term work of ground water management in the state of Chhattisgarh.
- This Authority will give permission for ground water extraction for industrial/ commercial / mining in non-notified / notified areas.
- At the district level, a provision has been made to constitute a Ground Water Management Council under the chairmanship of the Collector. In addition, the Collector will also act as the District Ground Water Grievance Redressal Officer. Apart from this, a provision has also been made to constitute Ground Water User Registration Committee in the respective development block under the chairmanship of Chief Executive Officer of Janpad Panchayat at the block level.
- Under the Bill, extracting ground water without registration in the appropriate body will be an offence. The Bill also provides for imprisonment and fine for violation of rules framed in the Bill.