Indian Road Congress to be held in Lucknow
- 01 Oct 2022
- 2 min read
Why In News?
- On 30 September 2022, Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary Durga Shankar Mishra reviewed the preparations for the 81st Annual Convention of the Indian Road Congress (IRC) to be held at Indira Gandhi Pratishthan, Lucknow from 8 to 11 October.
- It is worth noting that the last such event was held in Lucknow in 1985, which was the Golden Jubilee session of the IRC.
- In this session, IRC will discuss the introduction of new technology and maintenance of roads. Road sector experts from various institutes in the country and abroad will present their research papers on new and low cost technologies and other issues related to this field.
- It is known that the Indian Road Congress (IRC) is the apex body of highway engineers in the country. The IRC was established in December 1934 on the recommendations of the Indian Road Development Committee, popularly known as the Jayakar Committee, set up by the government. Its aim is to develop roads in India.
- The IRC was formally registered as a society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 on September 24, 1937.
- Established in 1934 with 73 members, the IRC currently has over 50 lakh affiliates (direct/indirect) and over 17,300 registered members, including central and state governments, public sector, research institutes, local bodies, private sector, recipients Engineers and practitioners from all stakeholders of the road sector from multilateral and institutional organizations such as contractors, consultants, equipment manufacturers, machinery manufacturers, material manufacturers and suppliers, industrial associations, World Bank, ADB, JICA, JRA, IRF etc.