‘Siyan’ Helpline for Elderly Persons
- 01 Oct 2022
- 3 min read
Why In News?
- On September 30, 2022, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel announced the launch of Siyan helpline for the elderly in the state from November 1 (State Formation Day) on the occasion of International Day of Older Persons.
- This helpline will help in providing assistance to the elderly, whose children are working abroad or in other places of the country, in emergency situations. In this regard, the Chief Minister has issued instructions to the Chief Secretary and asked him to ensure the arrangement of helpline after discussing with the police and social welfare department.
- In view of the lack of effective arrangements in the state to help such elderly people who are alone in the house and whose children are working outside the state, the Chief Minister has taken the initiative to start the Siyan Helpline with sensitivity.
- The Chief Minister said that elaborate arrangements have been made in Chhattisgarh for respectful environment, protection of life and property, medical care, shelter and legal protection in the society towards senior citizens. Pension amount is being provided to the elderly through 'Mukhyamantri Pension Yojana' and 'Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme'.
- As many as 31 old age homes are being run in 23 districts of the state to provide free accommodation, food, clothing, medical and family environment to the destitute elderly. The state government is trying to run at least one old age home in each district so that the destitute elderly can get shelter.
- Chief Minister Baghel said that palliative care homes have been started in Kabirdham, Durg and Balod districts for their medical and care for the elderly, who are suffering from serious illness or are completely dependent on others for their daily activities due to old age.
- Senior Citizen Auxiliary Equipment Supply Scheme is being operated to provide services of assistive devices, medical care to the elderly according to their need to solve the problem of old age. Through this, equipment's like walkers, crutches, sticks, wheel chairs, glasses, hearing aids are provided to the elderly.