Senior advocate Ajay Kumar Mishra to be the new Advocate General of the state
- 11 May 2022
- 2 min read
Why In News?
On May 10, 2022, the Uttar Pradesh Cabinet approved a proposal to appoint senior Supreme Court advocate Ajay Mishra as the new Advocate General of the state.
- It may be recalled that justice Devendra Kumar Upadhyay and Justice Subhash Vidyarthi of the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court took suo motu cognizance and on May 7, had given the state government time to appoint a new advocate general till May 16.
- Article 165 of the Constitution provides for the appointment of a Solicitor General, under which he has to not only act as a legal adviser to the government, but also discharge the CrPC, contempt law, as well as other legal obligations.
- These obligations can not be transferred to any additional advocate general or others. In such a situation, the post of Advocate General can not be kept vacant as per the Constitution.
- Advocate General Raghvendra Singh had submitted his resignation to the government a month ago.
- Ajay Mishra is son of former Justice Shrirang Mishra and elder brother of Justice Ashwani Kumar Mishra. He is currently serving as additional advocate general of the Uttar Pradesh government in the Supreme Court.