Sanchi becomes the Country's First Solar City
- 07 Sep 2023
- 3 min read
Why In News?
On September 6, 2023, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan inaugurated the world heritage monument site Sanchi Nagar located in Raisen district as the first solar city.
- Along with this, initiative has been taken to set up a 600 MW power plant by installing solar panels on the surface of the dam at Omkareshwar in Madhya Pradesh.
- Along with this, an agreement was signed between the Department of Renewable Energy and IIT Kanpur to make Sanchi a Net Zero City.
- Sanchi Solar City has come up as a result of a 3 MW capacity solar project at Nagori near Sanchi. In the near future, a 5 MW solar project will be set up in Gulgaon, which will meet the energy needs of the agriculture sector.
- Sanchi Solar City will reduce annual carbon dioxide emissions by more than 14 thousand tonnes, which is equivalent to more than 2 lakh 38 thousand trees. Eco-friendly facilities will prevent environmental pollution. E-vehicles have been promoted. Four commercial charging points and three e-rickshaw charging points have been installed. Running battery vehicles will also save diesel worth more than 9 lakhs.
- In Sanchi, about 7 thousand citizens have pledged to save electricity in their homes by using solar stand lamps, solar study lamps and solar lanterns.
- The concept of solar for every house was successful in Sanchi. Solar plants of about 63 kW capacity have been installed on domestic rooftops. Energy audit of the central and state government offices and establishments in the city was conducted.
- Under the Energy Literacy Campaign, the people of Sanchi showed awareness in the field of energy saving and energy conservation. Using the plants will reduce electricity bills by about Rs 22 lakh every year.
- There will be an annual saving of Rs 7.68 crore in electricity expenditure incurred in the homes of citizens and government works in Sanchi.