Sambhar Lake Management Agency
- 11 Oct 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
- Recently, the state government has approved the formation of a dedicated 'Sambhar Lake Management Agency' for efficient management of Sambhar Lake.
- In order to strengthen and focus on the management of Sambhar Lake, the Chief Minister allowed the formation of 'Sambhar Lake Management Agency' for the protection, conservation and all-round development of Sambhar Lake.
- It is noteworthy that Sambhar Lake, spread in Jaipur, Ajmer and Nagaur districts, is an internationally renowned Ramsar site. The lake is the second largest brackish water lake in India and the largest in the state and the largest inland salt production center in Asia.
- This management agency will be formed under the chairmanship of the State Forest and Environment Minister and the Chief Secretary. The Management Agency will work for the protection, conservation and development of the Sambhar Lake area.
- The agency includes Mines, Groundwater and Engineering Department, Forest and Environment, Revenue, Energy Department, Autonomous Government Department, Fisheries and Animal Husbandry Department, Industry Department, Finance Department, Panchayati Raj Department, Water Resources Department, Agriculture Department, Tourism Department, Medical And in-charge of the Health Department and Urban Development Department will be the Secretary.
- Chief Conservator of Forests, Chief Wildlife Warden, Director of RAJUVAS, Salt Commissioner Director, Jaipur Vidyut Vitran Nigam Limited, Jaipur Ajmer Nagaur District Collector will be the Member Secretary.
- Similarly, Rajasthan State Pollution Control Board, State Biodiversity Board and Chief Manager of Sambhar Salt Limited will be the members.
- Presently there are two Ramsar sites marked as Sambhar and Bharatpur in Rajasthan. This is also a big achievement for Rajasthan because after Chilka, E.K.W. and Loktak this will be the fourth such lake management agency in the country.