Rupal Chaudhary Won Bronze Medal in World Athletics U-20
- 06 Aug 2022
- 2 min read
Why In News?
- Rupal Choudhary of Meerut district of Uttar Pradesh won the bronze medal in women's 400 meters race with a time of 51.85 seconds at the World Athletics Under-20 Championships held in Colombia on August 4, 2022.
- With this, 17-year-old Rupal Chaudhary has become the first Indian to win two medals at the World Athletics U-20 Championships.
- Earlier on August 2, Rupal had won a silver medal in the 4x400m relay. The Indian team set an Asian junior record with a time of three minutes 17.76 seconds. The Indian team was second only to the UNITED STATES.
- In the Women's 400m race at the World Athletics U-20 Championships, Great Britain's Yami Mary won the gold medal with 51.50 seconds, while Kenya's Damaris Mutunga won the silver medal with 51.71 seconds.
- Rupal Chaudhary gave his best performance twice in the championship. For the first time in the semi-finals, he clocked 52.27 seconds and then improved this time in the final to win the bronze medal with 51.85 seconds.
- Earlier this year, Rupal had won a gold medal in the women's 400m race, overtaking Karnataka's Priya Mohan, a strong contender for the title at the National Under-20 Federation Cup Athletics Championships .