Regional Offices of Directorate General of Mines Safety increased from 29 to 38
- 30 May 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
- On May 29, 2022, the Directorate General of Mines Safety (DGMS), Dhanbad, issued a notification increasing the number of regional offices from 29 to 38.
- After more than a decade, the regional offices of the Directorate General of Mines Safety have been reconstituted and their number has been increased. However, there is no change in the number of zones (currently 8).
- Two regional offices each have been added at Eastern Zone Sitarampur, South-Eastern Zone Ranchi, Southern Zone Bangalore, Western Zone Nagpur and North-Western Zone Udaipur, one each at South Central Zone Hyderabad and Northern Zone Ghaziabad.
- Guwahati Region-2 in Eastern Zone Sitarampur, Bhubaneswar Region-2 in South-Eastern Zone Ranchi, Bellary Region-2 in Southern Zone Bangalore, Parsia Region-2 in Western Zone Nagpur, Ahmedabad Region-2 in North-Western Zone Udaipur, Nellore Region and Hyderabad Region-3 in South Central Zone Hyderabad and Srinagar Region and Ajmer Region-2 in Northern Zone Ghaziabad have been added.
- It may be mentioned that earlier the regional offices of DGMS were restructured in the year 2009, then the existing 6 zones with 6 zones, 21 regional offices and 5 sub-regional offices were brought down to the current level of 29 regional zones with 2 new zones and 3 sub-regional offices.
- 2 new zones - Southern Zone and North-Western Zone and 8 new Regional Offices- Varanasi, Surat, Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Bellary, Guwahati (Upgradation from Sub-Regional to Regional), Raigarh and Gwalior were formed. At that time, the Ramgarh sub-regional office was transferred to Ranchi and the Southern-Eastern Zone was merged with Ranchi.