PM Launches 'National Mission for Liberation from Sickle Cell Anaemia' in Shahdol, Madhya Pradesh
- 03 Jul 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
On July 1, 2023, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the 'National Sickle Cell Anaemia Liberation Mission' in Shahdol, Madhya Pradesh and distributed sickle cell genetic status cards to beneficiaries.
- On this occasion, Governor of Madhya Pradesh Mangubhai C Patel, Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya, Union Ministers of State, Members of Parliament, Ministers of Government of Madhya Pradesh and Members of Legislative Assembly were also present.
- The mission aims to address the serious health challenges posed by sickle cell disease, especially among the tribal population. The launch marks an important milestone in the ongoing efforts of the government to eliminate sickle cell disease as a public health problem by 2047.
- The National Mission to Eradicate Sickle Cell Anemia was announced in the Union Budget 2023. It is implemented in 278 districts of the 17 most affected states of the country - Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Assam, Uttar Pradesh, Kerala, Bihar and Uttarakhand.
- The Prime Minister also launched the distribution program of about 3.57 crore Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) cards in Madhya Pradesh. Ayushman card distribution ceremony is being organized in municipal bodies, gram panchayats and development blocks across the state.
- Ayushman Card Distribution Campaign is a step towards realizing the Prime Minister's vision of reaching each and every beneficiary to ensure 100% saturation of welfare schemes.
- On this occasion, the Prime Minister said that this campaign to eradicate sickle cell anaemia will become a major mission of Amrit Kaal. He expressed his determination to free the tribal communities and the country from the menace of sickle cell anaemia by 2047.