Padma Awards to 5 Persons from Madhya Pradesh
- 28 Jan 2022
- 3 min read
Why in News
- On January 25, 2022, on the eve of the 73rd Republic Day, the President announced 128 Padma Awards for the year 2022. 5 persons from Madhya Pradesh are included in the list of these awards.
- The Padma Awards are the country's highest civilian honors, which are conferred in three categories. These three categories include Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. 'Padma Vibhushan' for exceptional and distinguished service, 'Padma Bhushan' for distinguished service of high order and 'Padma Shri' for distinguished service in any field.
- These awards are given in various disciplines/fields i.e. arts, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc.
- These awards are announced by the President every year on the occasion of 'Republic Day' and are presented in formal functions held at Rashtrapati Bhavan, usually in March/April.
- This year the President has approved the conferment of 128 Padma Awards, including 2 Jodi Awards (the award given to a pair is counted as one award). The list includes 4 Padma Vibhushan, 17 Padma Bhushan and 107 Padma Shri awards.
- Among the recipients of Padma awards, 34 are women and 10 persons in this list are under the Foreigner/NRI/PIO/OCI category and 13 persons have been given the award posthumously.
- The following persons from Madhya Pradesh are included in the list of Padma Awards announced for the year 2022-
- Late Dr. Narendra Prasad Mishra (posthumously) of Bhopal has been selected for the 'Padma Shri' award in the field of medicine.
- Similarly, Arjun Singh Dhurve has been selected for the Arts, Awadhkishore Jadia for Literature and Education and Ramsahay Pandey and Ms. Durgabai Vyam for the Padma Shri award in the field of Arts.
- Internationally renowned Physician Late Dr. Narendra Prasad Mishra had worked for extraordinary medical arrangements for thousands of victims after the Bhopal Gas Tragedy.
- Arjun Singh Dhurve of Dindori took the folk art to the summit by keeping Baiga dance and culture flowing, while Ms. Durgabai Vyam of Mandla not only kept the painting of Gond folklore flowing, but also got it recognized at the international level.
- Ramshay Pandey, a talented artist of Sagar district, has given recognition to the song-music culture of Bundelkhand, 'Rai Nritya' at the international level.