New Record of Procurement of 107.52 Lakh Metric Tonnes of Paddy in Chhattisgarh
- 01 Feb 2023
- 5 min read
Why In News?
- On January 31, 2023, the state of Chhattisgarh has set a record by purchasing more than 107 lakh 51 thousand 858 metric tonnes of paddy till the last date of paddy procurement in the Kharif marketing year 2022-23, leaving behind the previous year's record of 98 lakh metric tonnes of paddy procurement.
- Chhattisgarh is the second state in the country after Punjab, where the highest quantity of paddy has been purchased. In terms of the number of farmers selling paddy at the support price, Chhattisgarh ranks first in the entire country.
- In the state, 23 lakh 41 thousand 935 farmers have sold their paddy at the support price. In terms of the number of farmers selling paddy at the support price, this figure is so high that other states of the country are not even close to it.
- It is noteworthy that in the last four years, the system of paddy procurement in the state of Chhattisgarh has been strengthened and improved so much that farmers do not face any kind of problem in selling paddy and getting payment. This is the reason that in the last four years, there has been a record increase in the number of farmers selling paddy at the support price and the amount of paddy purchased, due to which Chhattisgarh has reached the second place as a contributor of paddy to the Central Pool.
- Due to the farmer-friendly policies of the Government of Chhattisgarh, both agriculture and farmers have prospered in the state. Year-on-year record increase in paddy procurement figures in the state and under 'Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana', input subsidy of Rs 9,000 is being given to productive farmers on per acre basis.
- This year, 249 new rice mills have been set up in the state, due to which the number of registered millers has increased from 2035 to 2284 for custom milling of paddy procured on support price in the state.
- In the last four years, the result of prosperity in the field of agriculture and the prosperity of the farmers is that the number of villagers and farmers buying tractors in the state has increased rapidly. In the last four years, farmers have purchased more than 80,000 tractors in the state.
- With the increase in the number of procurement centers for paddy procurement in the state, the Chhattisgarh government has made better arrangements for the sale of paddy to the farmers through app along with manual tokens the 'Token Tuhan Haath' for paddy purchase from registered farmers.
- Paddy procurement in the state continued uninterrupted from the opening day i.e., November 1, 2022, till the last day i.e., January 31, 2023. Considering the 24.98 lakh registered farmers and 32.19 lakh hectare area in the state, 110 lakh metric tonnes of paddy was estimated to be procured this year.
- Food Secretary T.K. Verma said that like last year in the state, along with paddy procurement, arrangements were made to lift paddy directly by the millers from procurement centers for custom milling, due to which more than 90 lakh metric tonnes have been produced so far. More paddies have been lifted.
- He said that due to the arrangement of lifting paddy for paddy procurement as well as custom milling, hardly 3 lakh metric tonnes of paddy will have to be taken to the collection centers this year, whereas last year about 23 lakh metric tonnes of paddy was required to be taken to the collection centers. Due to this system of lifting paddy, about 150-200 crore rupees will be saved.
- The Chhattisgarh government's decision to give incentives to millers for custom milling at Rs 120 per quintal has also led to a spurt in custom milling. This year, 249 new millers have registered. This simply means that paddy has given impetus to Chhattisgarh's economy and industrialization, it has also created new employment opportunities.
- Due to the farmer-friendly policy and decisions of the state government, the area under paddy has increased to more than 32.19 lakh hectares. The registered farmers include 2.32 lakh new farmers.